Franklin Newman, LISW
As a psychotherapist providing trauma informed care in both residential and outpatient programs, my focus is working with clients who are struggling with chronic emotional dysregulation (chronic anxiety and depression), mood disorders, addictive behavior, sleep problems, relational problems, and problems with anger/irritability. I am also experienced with helping clients navigate grief and life transitions.
A person in the environment approach helps in meeting my clients holistically, incorporating their strengths, relationships, current coping strategies and resources into the process of identifying their current challenges and stressors; as well as their motivation or goals for therapy, so that together we may identify pathways toward meeting their goals.
Some of the approaches that you may be familiar with and that I use with my clients include:
- A solutions-focused approach maintains a conscious intention to leverage one’s intelligence, wisdom, and resources toward meeting one’s goal(s).
- Mindfulness based strategies provide a basis for enhanced emotional regulation and understanding of helpful and unhelpful patterns of thinking and behavior.
- Parts work offers a language with which to understand and attend to all elements of one’s personality.
- Body-based, somatic practices, such as working with the breath and releasing muscle tension are critical towards enhanced capacity to work through strong emotions.
- Cognitive behavioral strategies help to identify beliefs and patterns of thinking that may be exacerbating stress.
- Development and enhancement of communication and active listening skills offer a means to enhancing and finding meaningful and supportive connection with others.
In cases where someone discovers that they may like to engage in deeper therapeutic work, I can assist with making a referral to a local therapist or agency.
Additional areas of focus: Addictions, LGBT, Relationship issues, Grief, Anger management, Self esteem, Career difficulties, Bipolar disorder, Compassion fatigue, ADHD, Attachment Issues, Communication Problems, Control Issues, Drug and Alcohol Addiction, First Responder Issues, Guilt and Shame, Hospice and End of Life Counseling, Life Purpose, Military and Veterans Issues, Obsessions, Compulsions, and OCD, Panic Disorder and Panic Attacks, Personality Disorders, Post-traumatic Stress, Process addiction (porn, exercise, gambling)
Clinical approaches: Attachment-Based Therapy, Client-Centered Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Existential Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Mindfulness Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Solution-Focused Therapy, Somatic Therapy, Trauma-Focused Therapy
IA LISW 095139