Hi there, my name is Jacob and I am an Integrative Counsellor. Before talking about my qualifications and training, I would instead like to focus on what therapy can give you and what you can expect from working with me.
Why you might be looking for help:
• You feel stuck with an issue in your life which you have tried to cope with by yourself, but you are finding it harder to live with and want help in changing this
• You feel like you want more from life but have noticed that you have built up negative patterns or cycles in your life which result in you missing out on opportunities which would help give you a more fulfilling and meaningful life.
• You feel that you are in some way stuck in the past, where experiences you had as a child or teenager continue to affect you and determine your life today.
What I will give you as a therapist:
• HONESTY: I believe in taking a direct approach. No one is perfect and we can all fall into negative habits of behaviour or self-sabotage opportunities for growth. Essential to any therapeutic relationship is knowing that you can trust your therapist to not only be there for you when you are struggling but also to be honest and direct with you to help you challenge yourself and get more of what you want in life.
• CONSISTENCY: Many of us have experienced home environments or relationships in life where we haven’t been able to rely on those around us or have been let down. I am committed to giving you a new experience of a relationship with someone who is reliable and consistent.
• CARE: I decided to work in this field in large part due to my own mental health experiences. These experiences and my own journey of therapy and personal development are what help me to stand apart from other practitioners. I am deeply passionate about helping others create real change in their lives. I do what I do because I truly care and my own personal experiences help to inform my understanding and attune to what you need.
I am a fully qualified integrative counsellor, a registered member with the BACP and NCS. Over a year ago now, I decided to follow my own dreams and live full time in my van, travelling across the UK and Europe, working remotely.
Aside from my private work, I am employed as a counsellor with Kooth, The Mix and Anxiety UK. I have over 10 years’ experience working in the field of mental health and social care.
In addition to this, over the last year I have developed my own business ‘Mind the Path’ – which offers holistic therapeutic retreats across the UK.
I have training in:
- Integrative Counselling
- Schema Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Somatic Experiencing Trauma Specialist (Training Ongoing)
- ACES (Trauma Informed Practice)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Therapy
While I am flexible in working with a range of issues, I have previous experience of supporting people with:
- Anxiety (Including Social Anxiety)
- Trauma or Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Low Self Esteem
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME)
- Suicidal Thoughts / Self Harm
- Toxic or abusive relationships
- Mood Swings
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
Additional areas of focus: LGBT, Relationship issues, Family conflicts, Grief, Intimacy-related issues, Sleeping disorders, Parenting issues, Anger management, Self esteem, Career difficulties, Bipolar disorder, Coping with life changes, Coaching, Compassion fatigue, ADHD, Abandonment, Adoption and Foster Care, Antisocial Personality, Attachment Issues, Autism and Asperger Syndrome, Avoidant Personality, BDSM, Kink, Alternative Sex Culture, Blended Family Issues, Body Image, Cancer, Caregiver Issues and Stress, Chronic Pain Illness and Disability, Co-morbidity, Codependency, Commitment Issues, Communication Problems, Control Issues, Coping with Natural or Human-Caused Disaster, Dependent Personality, Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder (DMDD), Dissociation, Divorce and Separation, Domestic Violence, Drug and Alcohol Addiction, Eating and Food-Related Issues, Emptiness, Expats, Family of Origin Issues, Family Problems, Fatherhood Issues, Fertility Issues, First Responder Issues, Forgiveness, Guilt and Shame, HIV / AIDS, Hoarding, Immigration Issues, Impulsivity, Infidelity, Intellectual Disability, Isolation / Loneliness, Jealousy, Life Purpose, Men's Issues, Midlife Crisis, Military and Veterans Issues, Money and Financial Issues, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, Obsessions, Compulsions, and OCD, Panic Disorder and Panic Attacks, Paranoia, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Postpartum Depression, Post-traumatic Stress, Pregnancy and Childbirth, Prejudice and Discrimination, Process addiction (porn, exercise, gambling), Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Self-Harm, Self-Love, Sex Addiction, Sexual Assault and Abuse, Sexual Dysfunction, Sexuality, Smoking/Vaping Cessation, Social Anxiety and Phobia, Somatization, Trichotillomania, Workplace Issues, Young Adult Issues
Clinical approaches: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Attachment-Based Therapy, Client-Centered Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT), Mindfulness Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Somatic Therapy, Trauma-Focused Therapy, Internal Family Systems
NCPS Therapist - Accredited Member (MNCPS Accred) #NCS21-02302
Jacob is incredibly professional - he is prompt in communication, compassionate in sessions. He does a great job providing structure and narrative to what I am going through and to our work together. He also does an excellent job giving realistic advice/perspective and not promising more than therapy can deliver.
Hands down the best therapist I have worked with.
Written on Nov 27, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 7 months on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, family conflicts, self esteem, anger management, career difficulties, compassion fatigue, and adhd
I am still working with Jacob as I have very complex things to work through, he is kind, caring and supportive and I highly recommend him as a therapist
Written on Nov 20, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 1 year and 5 months on issues concerning stress, anxiety, trauma and abuse, grief, self esteem, and coping with life changes
I am so grateful to Jacob for his expertise, compassion and understanding. He is exquisitely skilled, highly qualified and helping me so much in my personal journey.
Written on Sep 22, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 6 months on issues concerning relationship issues, and family conflicts
Gave good advice and analysis and good guy. Thanks for all the help a real good listener.
Written on Mar 31, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 1 month on issues concerning stress, anxiety, addictions, intimacy-related issues, sleeping disorders, and adhd
Working with Jacob challenges me to show up for myself and put the work in to overcome unhelpful patterns in how I think about myself, approach relationships and respond to difficult situations in my life. He always validates my experience, while offering a new way of looking at things.
Therapy sessions with Jacob have been one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Everyone should have someone as supportive, friendly and trustworthy as him to talk to.
Written on Feb 22, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 5 months on issues concerning eating disorders, and self esteem
Jacob has really helped me get in touch with my feelings, understanding myself better and learning to tolerate discomfort so that it does not overwhelm me. He has helped me with my eating disorder, anxiety and obsessive negative thought patterns. He always responds in a timely manner and sends great advice and resources to watch/read. Thank you Jacob!
Written on Jan 21, 2023 after therapy with Jacob for 6 months on issues concerning eating disorders