Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Online Therapy Sessions
How much is online therapy?
The cost of online therapy varies by platform. BetterHelp ranges from $60 to $90 per week (billed every four weeks) for unlimited messaging and weekly video, phone (talk therapy), or chat appointments with a licensed mental health professional; not simply social workers. This is much less than the national US average for therapy appointments while offering even more ways to communicate with your therapist. BetterHelp also offers a financial aid discount to those who qualify. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the cost of using BetterHelp, the online therapy service global leader.
How can online therapy help me?
Online therapy holds all the same mental health benefits as in-person therapy, with the added convenience of being able to talk to your therapist anytime, anywhere. With options for messaging, live chat, phone calls, and video calls, you can choose a method of communication that is most comfortable for you, all with a licensed therapist just as qualified as one you would see in an office. After filling out a questionnaire and being matched with a therapist who fits your needs, you can meet and start working on yourself right away.
If the therapist you are initially matched with isn’t a good fit, you can change therapists at any time right from your profile, no questions asked. This allows you more time to get started on your own betterment rather than having to go through your insurance or calling multiple therapist offices in your area which often have long wait times. Be sure to check out 10,000s of therapy reviews from users that have access to and have used our platform.
Where can I learn more about BetterHelp?
Interested in learning more about why BetterHelp is the leader of online therapy companies? Find our social media, sister sites, and news about us using the below links:
- About Our Company - Learn more about us and our mission as the global leader of the best online therapy services. Discover how affordable video chat, phone, or virtual talk therapy sessions with one of the licensed professional therapists here can provide you with support for topics like anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns.
- Online Therapy Reviews - Real experiences and online therapy reviews that our users have had on our virtual counseling platform that offers convenient, affordable teletherapy services.
- Press Room - News coverage about BetterHelp (part of Teladoc Health) as the global telehealth leader.
- Advice Content - 1,000s of free researched & medical reviewed articles designed to help our readers understand mental health topics like psychology, adult depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and more. If you're looking for a topic we haven't covered, reach out to our team (a growing editorial staff with bios included) to see how we can produce the best content to address that subject. Let the global leader of online therapist services help you; which could be one of the best decisions of your life.
- FaithfulCounseling.com - Professional mental health online psychotherapy from a biblical perspective. Visit the website to see if this faith-based service is the type of counseling you're looking for.
- TeenCounseling.com - Our teen counseling platform allows parents and teens to set up an online account to provide teen therapy, helpful recommendations, and assistance. Learn how this form of family counseling can help your teen using our teletherapy services.
- ReGain.us - Couples and families on this platform have experienced how teletherapy can help better understand a majority of the reasons and behaviors that can make relationships challenging and how to deal with them via marriage counseling. Learn how we can help your relationships with counseling online by connecting you with a licensed marriage and family therapist with experience with family conflicts.
- PrideCounseling.com - Pride Counseling has a missing that offers counseling services for adults in the LGBTQIA+ community. Learn how Pride Counseling can help you by matching you with a professional licensed therapist on our secure platform.
Does insurance cover online therapy?
This depends on a few factors and varies among insurance plans. BetterHelp does not officially accept insurance or partner with any insurance providers and partners. However, the Mental Health Parity Act currently requires that employers and others who provide access to group health plans must offer equal benefits for medical and mental health-related services. As a result, some major health insurance providers now cover online behavioral and mental health services; all of which is covered by insurance. The best way to find out if you can have online therapy covered by your health insurance is to ask your provider by either calling them or reviewing your coverage plan online. From there, your provider can help you find a therapist's office with their insurance accepted that lines up with your insurance plan.
Does Medicare or Medicaid insurance cover online therapy through BetterHelp?
The BetterHelp therapy service offers affordable online therapy (typically $60 to $90 per week) with experienced and licensed therapists there to provide the support and therapeutic methodology you need. In some cases, out-of-pocket costs for therapy can be reimbursed by medical insurance or a behavioral health plan. If you aren’t sure if your health plan provides insurance coverage for the therapy cost and related services, reach out to your Medicare or Medicaid insurance provider before your first appointment. You can find the contact information for your Medicare or Medicaid provider on the back of your state-issued health insurance card. Much of the same can be said about using FSA or HSA cards on our platform although not all of the best online therapy programs accept them.
Does BetterHelp offer free online therapy & counseling?
The therapy services offered at BetterHelp are not free or on a trial basis. As the leading global provider of all online therapy platforms, we employ a large, dedicated team and contract with thousands of licensed therapists & psychologists to provide convenient, accessible, and affordable online therapy. Making this happens comes at a cost which is why we can’t provide the service for free because we feel people do best when therapists are licensed. That being said, we offer financial aid to those who qualify to make the therapy cost even more accessible and affordable to those who need the extra help; costing $60 to 90 per week. Simply reach out to email@example.com to find out how to apply.
Is online therapy as effective as in-person?
Many studies have confirmed the effectiveness of online therapy for making positive life changes. For example, research published by JMIR Publications and the Berkeley Well-Being Institute found that online therapy is just as effective as in-person therapy. Whether you decide to seek therapy in-person or online, working with an experienced and licensed therapist can help you understand their methodology to help you overcome various mental health and life challenges. You can read the full study and survey here. In the future, we'll share more history and details about the science behind various online therapies.
Andersson, G., & Cuijpers, P. (2009). Internet-based and other computerized psychological treatments for adult depression: A meta-analysis. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 38(4), 196-205. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20183695Is online therapy cheaper than in-person therapy?
Generally speaking, yes! While we can not guarantee that online therapy pricing is the cheaper option 100% of the time because in-person session prices will vary by therapist, location, and insurance plans, we can confidently say that BetterHelp is more affordable than most other options (typically costing $75 to $200 for face-to-face therapy) when paying out of pocket, while also helping you save money that you may otherwise spend to see a therapist via traditional in-person therapy sessions... such as bus fare, gas, or parking.How much is an online therapy session?