Are You Considering How To Make Yourself Throw Up?
If you have eaten something toxic, or maybe if you had too many alcoholic beverages, you may want to get it out of your system immediately. Some people will overeat to the point of making themselves sick but not be able to throw up. Maybe you accidentally took the wrong medication or took too much. Whatever the reason, making yourself throw up is not usually a good idea. However, if you are considering this option, you should call your physician or a poison control center first. They can give you some ideas on what to try that are safer than what you are considering. Think about why you want to throw up and what the consequences will be.
Ask Your Doctor How to Make Yourself Throw Up
Some questions your physician may ask you include:
- What did you eat or drink?
- How much did you eat or drink?
- When did it happen?
- How are you feeling right now?
- Why did you eat or drink what you did?
- Has this happened before?
- What do you expect vomiting to do for you?
- Are you trying to throw up to lose weight?
How to Safely Throw Up
If your doctor says it is okay to go ahead and try to make yourself throw up, there are several ways to safely perform this:
- Emetics - You can try ipecac to make you throw up. Follow the instructions on the bottle, but be careful because too much can be fatal.
- Toothbrush - Use your toothbrush to push on the back of your tongue until you feel the gag reflex.
- Finger - Rather than a toothbrush, you can use your finger to do the same thing, but be careful not to scratch yourself with your fingernails.
- Mustard Mix - You can mix one tablespoon of plain yellow mustard into a glass (six to eight ounces) of warm water and drink it down in one big gulp. This may take up to 30 minutes to work, and may not work for everyone, but it helps some people.
- Rotten Odors - Sometimes just smelling something awful such as rotten food or a smelly trash can will make you throw up.
- Visual Help - Watch a video of someone else throwing up. Some people are able to vomit just by watching someone else do it.
Vomiting to Lose Weight
If you are trying to make yourself throw up to lose weight, you should speak to someone about this right away. This is called bulimia nervosa and is a serious problem that can be deadly for some. Maybe you believe that vomiting after eating can help you not gain weight. This is not going to help. In fact, throwing up after eating can even cause you to gain weight.
The fact is that your body will only get rid of half of the calories you consume so if you are purging and vomiting, you will end up gaining weight in the long run. Bulimia nervosa also slows your metabolism and causes your body to store the calories, leading to weight gain. In addition, it can also cause damage to your teeth from stomach acid and will eventually lead to an electrolyte imbalance and cause a heart attack or stroke.
If you often feel like you have to make yourself throw up after eating, talk to someone about it before it is too late. You do not even need to make an appointment for an office visit. You can call an online therapist and get help immediately.