True Love Quotes
By: Stephanie Kirby
Updated November 10, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Whitney White, MS. CMHC, NCC., LPC
There is a lot of speculation that float around in society about what true love is, and how to find true love, through quotes about true love. Many quotes say that true love happens at first sight, or quotes say that love isn't a choice. Read on for quotes about true love.
Quotes: Love Vs. True Love?
True Love Is Not Perfect Quotes
Many people believe that your true love is the perfect person for you. This belief sets people up for disappointment. True love is never going to be perfect because relationships are made up of imperfect people.
- "The thing is that love gives us a ringside seat on somebody's else's flaws, so of course you're gonna spot some things that kinda need to be mentioned. But often the romantic view is to say, 'If you loved me, you wouldn't criticize me.' Actually, true love is often about trying to teach someone how to be the best version of themselves." - Alain de Botton
- "I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves." - Dr. Steve Maraboli
- "There is hardly a more gracious gift that we can offer somebody than to accept them fully, to love them almost despite themselves." - Elizabeth Gilbert
- "Real love is when you love someone for who they are, accept them the way they are." - Anurag Prakash Ray
- "You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not." - Jodi Picoult
- "I love you for a great many reasons and despite a great many others." - Richelle E. Goodrich
It Is A Choice
Many people mistakenly believe that true love is a feeling. That means when the feeling of true love leaves them, or the relationship doesn't feel exciting anymore they move on to a new relationship. The truth is that love is a choice. It may start as a feeling, but true love grows when two people choose to love each other day in and day out, through the good and the bad.
- Many relationships end because people think they "fell out of love" with each other. True love is not a feeling, it is a choice. At some point in any relationship there will come a time when you have to decide to make it work and continue loving the other person even when you don't feel like it for the moment. If you are searching for a feeling you will always be searching. " 'Look,' we said, 'what is it that draws two people into closeness and love? Of course, there's the mystery of physical attraction, but beyond that it's the things they share. We both love strawberries and ships and collies and poems and all beauty, and all those things bind us together. Those sharings just happened to be; but what we must do now is share everything. If one of us likes anything, there must be something to like in it-and the other one must find it-every single thing that either of us likes. That way we shall create a thousand strands, great and small, that will link us together. Then we shall be so close that it would be impossible-unthinkable-for either of us to suppose that we could ever recreate such closeness with anyone else. And our trust in each other will not only be based on love and loyalty, but on the fact of a thousand sharings-a thousand strands twisted into something unbreakable." - Sheldon Vanauken
- "True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice." - Sadhu Vaswani
- "True love is choosing the many things a person did right rather than the one thing he did wrong. True love does not keep the record of wrongs." - Unknown
- "He loved her, of course, but better than that, he chose her, day after day. Choice: that was the thing." - Sherman Alexie
- "But love, I've come to understand, is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day." - Nicholas Sparks
- "Real love isn't just a euphoric, spontaneous feeling it's a deliberate choice a plan to love each other for better and worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health." - Seth Adam Smith
It Doesn't Happen At First Sight
Love is a deep emotion that is developed over time. You cannot love a person that you do not know, and you don't truly know someone the moment that you first see them. You may be attracted to them at first site and want to get to know them better, but you cannot truly love another at first site.
- "True love doesn't happen right away; it's an ever-growing process. It develops after you've gone through many ups and downs, when you've suffered together, cried together, laughed together." -Ricardo Montalban
- "It is difficult to know at what moment love begins; it is less difficult to know that it has begun." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. It is, on the contrary, an element calm and deep. It looks beyond mere externals and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding." - Ellen White
Quotes About Lasting Through The Hard Times
Notice how in fairy-tales the "happily ever after" doesn't come until after there has been a challenge or a struggle. That's what true love is like. You don't get your "happily ever after" without some challenges along the way. If you aren't willing to stick it out during the tough times, you will never discover the deeper true love that is yet to come.
- "You're not looking for perfection in your partner. Perfection is all about the ego. With soulmate love, you know that true love is what happens when disappointment sets in - and you're willing to deal maturely with these disappointments." - Karen Salmansohn
- "True love bears all, endures all and triumphs!" - Dada Vaswani
- "True love is not how you forgive, but how you forget, not what you see but what you feel, not how you listen but how you understand, and not how you let go but how you hold on." - Dale Evans
- "We simply can't abandon ship every time we encounter a storm in our marriage. Real love is about weathering the storms of life together." - Seth Adam Smith
- "Love isn't perfect. It isn't a fairytale or a storybook and it doesn't always come easy. Love is overcoming obstacles, facing challenges, fighting to be together, holding on and never letting go. It is a short word, easy to spell, difficult to define, and impossible to live without. Love is work, but most of all, love is realizing that every hour, every minute, every second of it was worth it because you did it together." - Unknown
- "Love until it hurts. Real love is always painful and hurts: then it is real and pure." -Mother Teresa
- "Real love means loving kindness and compassion, the kind of love that does not have any conditions." - Nhat Hanh
- "If he can't handle you at your worst then he does not deserve you at your best. Real love means seeing beyond the words spoke out of pain, and instead seeing a person's soul." - Shannon L. Alder
True Love Makes You Better
True love helps you become a better person because you love that other person so much that you want to become better. You work to be less selfish and put the other person first. You find ways to make that person happy. You become more patient, communicate more clearly, and focus on pleasing the other person.
- "True love does not only encompass the things that make you feel good, it also holds you to a standard of accountability." - Monica Johnson
- "I love my husband very much. I knew it was real true love because I felt like I could be myself around that person. Your true, true innermost authentic self, the stuff you don't let anyone else see, if you can be that way with that person, I think that that's real love." - Idina Menzel
- "Real love means remaining truthful, even when you have all the opportunity in the world to hurt someone." - Michael Hayssus
- "I finally understood what true love meant. Love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be." - Nicholas Sparks
- "Loving someone is doing more than you say you'll do to show your love. Love is understood more when the words are replaced by actions." - Terry Mark
- "Real love doesn't seek to acquire. It gives itself away. Its very nature is that of surrender, service, and generosity." - Catherine Ingram
- "Real love trusts, mature love understands, and true love waits." - Analiza Garcia
Previous ArticleHow To Find Love And Happiness
Next ArticleDwelling On Lost Love Could Cost You True Love
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Current Events Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Inclusive Mental Health Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause Mental Health Of Men And Boys MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships and Relations Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry
Are You In A Relationship With A Narcissist? Here Are 6 Narcissistic Love Patterns To Watch Out For How To Know When It's Time To Walk Away From Love What Is The Love Hand Sign? Expressing Love In Different Ways And Languages Is He Truly In Love? Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend To Find Out I Love Your Soul: The Power Of Intimate Connections I Love Love - Is It Codependency? What To Do When You're Addicted To Love