Hello. My name is Alisha and I am a licensed professional counselor. Feel free to call me “AC”.
Making that first call or signing up for an online platform for support takes a lot of guts. It means that you are up to making something happen differently. I don’t know what led you here or how difficult it has been up to this moment, but one thing for sure, something big is about to change for you. It is totally possible.
I, for one, am excited about what this means for you. Counselors are not exempt from difficulties. We too have to do just what we coach others to do everyday. I know what a life feels like when we do not stop, check in with ourselves, and do something different. As a counselor, I get to walk with people and see them make moves, big or small that gets them to contentment.
I find that most of us have somewhat of an idea of what we want and need but we get thrown off by pesky challenges that meet us along the way. Challenges have to be dealt with. The “how to” is where counseling is a great support. Family, friends and community are awesome supports. But at times this may be difficult. What if your challenge is in the form of one of these relationships? A listening and objective ear of a counselor is one of your best supports. Everyone should have a Safe space and a safe person to talk to about anything they wish. The space that I will provide you is free of judgement, confidential and supportive. In the counseling space, it is all about you. There is one motive. That is for your well being and happiness alone. I find that relationships with family and friends improve by having the outlet of counseling. This makes your time with them free of anything weighing you down.
When I work with a client, the first thing that I will do is listen to all that you would like to share. I will then ask you how I can support you best. Some days, you may want direct feedback and other days you just may want to be listened to. I am here for all of that. If you prefer to just chat or receive support between sessions, I have you covered. I have great book recommendations, worksheets and articles if you prefer out of session activities. Again, I am thrilled by your courage to make a difference in your own life. Let’s get started.
Before we do: Here are a few things to expect:
1. Nervousness-What will happen? How will I feel? What should I say or not say? There are questions that can cause some nervousness. Just remember, everything that you have experienced is part of the human experience. Say what you want if you want, when you want.
2. Feeling like what's the Point-"I don't feel a change". Some times a light will flicker in therapy BUT not always in every session will that occur. But whether it occurs in real time or not, what we talk about is always working on you consciously or subconsciously. You will know when you notice that a new way of looking at something happens and think to yourself, "That is a new though or different reaction that I had." This delayed reaction to a therapy session is actually more common!
3. Frustration-As you do your "work", you'll notice that people who you are in relationship have not. Learning how to take your new found skills and freedom into the world takes a new perspective. Who are you now regardless of all circumstances is the question that you will be able to answer. This means that despite what others do or don't do, you will be OK.
4. It is time to Fly- You will find at some point in your personal work that you are not as distressed and you are better able to manage thoughts that once brought you distress. You are spreading your wings and will not have an imminent need for counseling. No matter when this occurs for you, I want you to fly. It may be time for you to end your subscription and do just that. If a few weeks have passed and you have not used the service, you are likely taking flight on something new that you discovered. Please Fly High. No need to feel as though you have to maintain your subscription "just in case". You can always come back later if you'd like.
5. Flexibility and Persistent pesky gnats. That is what I am calling thoughts and feelings that just need time to stop appearing and biting. Do not feel odd if you still fight to fan off pesky thoughts. Likely there is a "holding on" to a thought, belief, image, or something else that you have not fully released. This is where the need for flexibility comes in. You will have to be flexible and not hold on rigidly to the way you have interpreted things (even though you are sure that you are "right") . Even if you are right, you still may be left feeling less than free. Counseling is a good tool to see what is left in your thoughts that need to be re-worked.
6. Never Compare Yourself to Others. Do the best that you can do. That is Enough.
You are free to choose any time that you see on the calendar. If you need to verify that your time zone is reflected accurately, know that I am in the Eastern Time Zone in the US (EST time). Your time zone as listed on your account will be seen. If you travel outside that time zone, a good app is World Time Buddy to verify.
My commitment to you is that I will be on-time and prepared for your session. I will not respond to other clients while I am in session with you. Should I have to reschedule an appointment, I will do that as soon as possible, likely days in advance as not to disrupt your plans. I will then get you reschedule ASAP. If I have an personal emergency and need to cancel the next day, I will inform you promptly of my situation and when I will be available.
I ask that you take the same care when scheduling or cancelling.
The Golden Rule Policy for No-shows or a Same Day cancellation.
Please cancel 24 hours in advance. This allows for your block to be used. Cancellations that occur the same day, prevents anyone else from scheduling in that time.
Emergencies do happen and I take a person's word for it without explanation. The honor system is enough :) In the case of a true emergency, you are free to reschedule as you wish. Crises and emergencies are rare. However, should 2 emergencies occur resulting in you not maintaining your appointment, please talk to me so that I can understand your unique needs before attempting to reschedule.
If the no-show/same-day cancellation was for any other reason and you would like another appointment, I ask that you message me and Request a Same- Day appointment. I will give you the times that are open for the day you contact me. This it lessens the chance of a repeat no-show and I can serve efficiently.
Hope to hear from you,
- Stress, Anxiety
- Relationship issues
- Self esteem
- Coping with life changes
Coaching , Compassion fatigue , Abandonment , Attachment Issues , Codependency , Family of Origin Issues , Family Problems , Intellectual Disability , Isolation/Loneliness , Jealousy , Midlife Crisis , Prejudice and Discrimination , Women's Issues Read more...
LCMHC #7395 (Expires: 2022-06-30)
Alisha is amazing and she understands the issues and struggles I have.
Alisha (AC) is warm, caring, supportive, empathetic and insightful. She really listens and pulls out deeper meaning from between the lines of what you are saying, and isn’t afraid to challenge you if you are needing to be challenged. I would recommend her to anyone, she is wonderful.
Alisha has been wonderful. She is kind, patient, empathetic, and every positive adjective I can think of. I have never felt judged during our sessions, and always come out feeling uplifted and confident about my ability to handle whatever is going on in my life.
Brilliant! She is great at getting me to look at things from a different perspective, helping me to understand myself and adjust my behaviour to feel happier in myself and respond to situations in a more positive manner!
I've tried counselors before and never had a great experience. Alisha is amazing. I felt like we instantly connected and that she genuinely cares. I'm so grateful to have found her.
I learn something about myself every time I have a conversation with AC. She is a very good listener and councelor. I never feel judged, I feel a real sense that she cares about what I’m going through and is there for me. I would recommend her to anyone who’s serious about improving themselves, and getting another perspective of how they do things.
My sessions with AC were my first experience of counseling and have genuinely such an amazing experience. AC is kind, astute, experienced in a variety of issues and she really made me feel safe to express my thoughts. I have been experiencing anxiety about my upcoming marriage and she has guided me through both identifying and combatting unproductive cycles of worry as well as what’s important for a healthy relationship, all without judgement or telling me what to do. Counseling with her has been so illuminating and such a relief to me at a tough time. I could not recommend her enough!
Alisha was a huge help to me during my separation. I was feeling low and lacking confidence. Her knowledge and expertise guided me and gave me strength I had possibly always been lacking.
I have had three sessions with Alisha so far and after every one I have learned something new about myself, and I have been able to improve the way I think and approach life with practical steps. I am very grateful for her help so far; I am on the way to finally believing that I can flourish.
Although miles apart living in two different hemisphere's; I have found Alisha supportive and understanding; guiding me through this unknown scary place I'm in.
AC is professional and understanding. She takes the time to try and know what your thought process while staying relevant, and also invites you to raise any other issues that may come up. She is helpful in the questions she asks.
I am grateful for the help and support Alisha has been to me. She is very good at understanding where I am at and asking really good questions to enable me to process and work out myself what the issues are. She has also recommended resources to help me. She is everything a good counsellor should be :-)
I strongly feel choosing ALISHA was divine. I couldn’t have had a better person to talk to. She’s a good listener and understands my feelings. I’m already looking forward to our next session. I can talk to her all day and wouldn’t realize the time....she’s great and understands the word counseling.
My review is she is a lovely professional friendly person. Who I trust and will confide in. Even over chat you can sense she genuinely cares, but keeping professional boundaries.
Alisha has let me view situations in another perspective. Like the stressful times I’ve gone (still going) through with my family and my work. I’m really grateful for her time to listen to what’s on my mind and really making me comfortable to share so much with her. Thank you, Alisha!
Starting these counseling sessions with Alisha has been the best decision I took for myself in a while. From the first session, I felt comfortable with Alisha- it’s her way of communicating and the honest feedback she shares. The sessions I had so far, are the kind that do not leave you shattered at the end of it but instead give you key points to let sink in for a while and properly process before your next session. I know that I will probably face some difficult moments once we progress further, but I know that it will not need to be a tough or harsh experience because of the way she provides counseling.