HELLO. Thank you for stopping by. My name is "AC" (Alisha) and I am a licensed professional counselor.
Thank you for stopping by
I am trained clinically as a therapist. However, the reason I do this type of work is for a much deeper and meaningful reason. I will have to take you to the past for a moment. I have religious roots but they were not good ones in terms of helping me understand the things that I was struggling emotionally. If those challenged endured for a long time, there was really no help. It was summed up as not having "enough" faith. Tired of hearing this sentiment, I pursued counseling for Christians who felt like they were faithless because they had struggles. I wanted to stop this from perpetuating one person at a time.
What you can expect from a counselor who is a Christian? You can expect that you will not be shamed into thinking that you do not have enough faith.
In fact, we may not even talk about faith in sessions unless you ask for that. I say to people that I am a Christian so that you know my core values. Do I have people that do not share the same values? I sure do... not to talk about my values but what you are seeking relief in with kindness and care.
Before we do: Here are a few things to expect:
1. Nervousness-What will happen? How will I feel? What should I say or not say? There are questions that can cause some nervousness. Just remember, everything that you have experienced is part of the human experience. Say what you want if you want, when you want.
2. Feeling like what's the Point-"I don't feel a change". Some times a light will flicker in therapy BUT not always in every session will that occur. But whether it occurs in real time or not, what we talk about is always working on you consciously or subconsciously. You will know when you notice that a new way of looking at something happens and think to yourself, "That is a new though or different reaction that I had." This delayed reaction to a therapy session is actually more common!
3. Frustration-As you do your "work", you'll notice that people who you are in relationship have not. Learning how to take your new found skills and freedom into the world takes a new perspective. Who are you now regardless of all circumstances is the question that you will be able to answer. This means that despite what others do or don't do, you will be OK.
4. It is time to Fly- You will find at some point in your personal work that you are not as distressed and you are better able to manage thoughts that once brought you distress. You are spreading your wings and will not have an imminent need for counseling. No matter when this occurs for you, I want you to fly. It may be time for you to end your subscription and do just that. If a few weeks have passed and you have not used the service, you are likely taking flight on something new that you discovered. Please Fly High. No need to feel as though you have to maintain your subscription "just in case". You can always come back later if you'd like.
5. Flexibility and Persistent pesky gnats. That is what I am calling thoughts and feelings that just need time to stop appearing and biting. Do not feel odd if you still fight to fan off pesky thoughts. Likely there is a "holding on" to a thought, belief, image, or something else that you have not fully released. This is where the need for flexibility comes in. You will have to be flexible and not hold on rigidly to the way you have interpreted things (even though you are sure that you are "right") . Even if you are right, you still may be left feeling less than free. Counseling is a good tool to see what is left in your thoughts that need to be re-worked.
6. Never Compare Yourself to Others. Do the best that you can do. That is Enough.
You are free to choose any time that you see on the calendar. If you need to verify that your time zone is reflected accurately, know that I am in the Eastern Time Zone in the US (EST time). Your time zone as listed on your account will be seen. If you travel outside that time zone, a good app is World Time Buddy to verify.
My commitment to you is that I will be on-time and prepared for your session. I will not respond to other clients while I am in session with you. Should I have to reschedule an appointment, I will do that as soon as possible, likely days in advance as not to disrupt your plans. I will then get you reschedule ASAP. If I have an personal emergency and need to cancel the next day, I will inform you promptly of my situation and when I will be available.
I ask that you take the same care when scheduling or cancelling.
The Golden Rule Policy for No-shows or a Same Day cancellation.
Please cancel 24 hours in advance. This allows for your block to be used. Cancellations that occur the same day, prevents anyone else from scheduling in that time.
Emergencies do happen and I take a person's word for it without explanation. The honor system is enough :) In the case of a true emergency, you are free to reschedule as you wish. Crises and emergencies are rare. However, should 2 emergencies occur resulting in you not maintaining your appointment, please talk to me so that I can understand your unique needs before attempting to reschedule.
If the no-show/same-day cancellation was for any other reason and you would like another appointment, I ask that you message me and Request a Same- Day appointment. I will give you the times that are open for the day you contact me. This it lessens the chance of a repeat no-show and I can serve efficiently.
Have a lovely day,
Additional areas of focus: Coaching, Compassion fatigue, Abandonment, Adoption and Foster Care, Attachment Issues, Caregiver Issues and Stress, Codependency, Control Issues, Divorce and Separation, Emptiness, Expats, Family of Origin Issues, Family Problems, Forgiveness, Guilt and Shame, Hoarding, Intellectual Disability, Isolation / Loneliness, Jealousy, Midlife Crisis, Mood Disorders, Prejudice and Discrimination, Self-Love, Women's Issues
NC LCMHC 7395
She is absolutely wonderful and knows what I need before the session even begins. I feel so comfortable talking with her and it makes it better being able to talk about my beliefs as well with someone who understands.
Written on Aug 17, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 2 weeks on issues concerning stress, anxiety, addictions, relationship issues, family conflicts, trauma and abuse, grief, intimacy-related issues, eating disorders, parenting issues, anger management, coping with life changes, coaching, and adhd
She has been supportive through my process and given me objective and professional points of view. I like and share her way of approaching the issues I have come to her with and makes me feel in a safe space.
Written on Jul 27, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 2 weeks on issues concerning self esteem, and coping with life changes
Alisha is so insightful, calming and has such great advise
I am so thankful for her. She is helping me navigate through all kinds of fears, emotional baggage and distress. God bless you. Thank you so much for all you do.
Written on Jul 06, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 2 weeks on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, family conflicts, grief, intimacy-related issues, self esteem, anger management, career difficulties, and coping with life changes
I cannot say enough amazing things about Alisha. She listens without judgement and provides actionable insight that will truly change your life for the better if you implement her tools
Written on Jun 21, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 4 months on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, grief, intimacy-related issues, self esteem, career difficulties, coping with life changes, and compassion fatigue
I’ve been meeting with Alisha for about 2 months now. I can say that I look forward to our weekly meets cause it’s helped me stay more positive. I feel that therapy with alisha has really helped me see things in a different view .
Written on Apr 24, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 2 months on issues concerning stress, anxiety, relationship issues, family conflicts, eating disorders, parenting issues, self esteem, anger management, and adhd
I've only had one session with Alisha so far and I already feel so much better about seeking therapy with her. She is incredibly nice and understanding! I feel like finally I have found someone who will be able to help me get through this trauma and get to a better place. I definitely feel more optimistic!
Written on Apr 04, 2023 after therapy with Alisha for 2 months on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, family conflicts, trauma and abuse, self esteem, coping with life changes, and compassion fatigue