Five Reasons Why Online Anxiety Help Really Works
Updated December 05, 2018
Reviewer Whitney White, MS. CMHC, NCC., LPC
If you're looking for online anxiety help, then you may be surprised at how effective it can be for a person who dislikes traditional therapy.
If you've ever had a family member or friend who suffers from anxiety, you've probably heard them say that seeking professional therapy can be a stressful experience in and of itself.
Whereas it might be easy for a friend or family member to say, "Everyone has anxiety…you just have to be brave!" or "Just suck it up…everyone has anxiety sometimes!", this reasoning is wrong and harmful to a person who has a serious anxiety disorder.
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, or anxiety resulting from depression or bipolar or other conditions do not have anxiety like everyone else has. What might seem like a simple errand to one person, is a day-long stressful experience to a person suffering from anxiety.
What Studies Show About Anxiety Help
In fact, according to one study (The Efficacy of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: A Review of Meta-analyses) by Hofmann and colleagues, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be one of the most effective means to treat major anxiety.
"The strongest support exists for CBT of anxiety disorders, somatoform disorders, bulimia, anger control problems, and general stress."
Another study from King's College London and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust showed that CBT may help anxiety because it literally "strengthens specific connections in the brain." CBT therapy was so powerful it actually helped treat psychosis and could help change the way people think.
This illustrates the importance of seeking qualified therapy to help with anxiety. In many cases anxiety patients do not want to drive all the way across town just to explain how anxiety is ruining their life. There has to be a strategy involved, one led by a qualified doctor or counselor.
Furthermore, the online anxiety help option may work better than traditional therapy visits in person. Why?
5 Reasons Why Online Anxiety Help May Work
- Therapy happens in a calm and familiar environment for the patient since he/she can be in control, answering questions, and typing answers from their home.
- The person will not have to wait for a doctor while surrounded by other people in the office. Social anxiety is exponentially decreased.
- There's a better chance of making it to every session, since logging in is much easier than traveling a distance by car a few times a week. Remember that some anxiety patients cannot drive and seeking transportation a few times a week could be another contributing factor to their anxiety.
- The person can take a longer period of time to think answers over. In person, one tends to answer questions with "knee-jerk" reactions because they're nervous.
- There is help available even at odd hours of the day. Online anxiety help is available beyond traditional office hours, which may be of great importance to anxiety sufferers who experience panic at night or in early morning hours.
Remember, you have nothing to lose when talking to someone about anxiety in a safe online environment. Even better, when you choose a licensed therapist trained to help people with anxiety, you may find a solution that works rather than just back and forth chatter. Why not talk to someone right now?