How To Stop Yourself From Throwing Up When You Are Nauseous
Everyone has experienced it at least once in their lives; you, suddenly feel nauseous and ready to vomit. Sometimes, there is an obvious reason such as food poisoning or the flu, but people can often feel nauseous from stress, anxiety, a bad smell, or seeing someone else vomit. When nausea is caused by a psychological trigger, it can be difficult to diagnose. However, if you are continuously having episodes of nausea or vomiting when you feel stressed or anxious, it may be a mental health issue.
What Causes Nausea and Vomiting
Some of the reasons for nausea and vomiting include:
- Some type of stomach bug such as the flu or food poisoning.
- Pregnancy can cause nausea and vomiting in the first few months.
- Stress or anxiety can cause nausea in many people.
- Seeing someone else vomit can trigger the same response.
- Psychogenic vomiting is a psychological condition that is caused by either conversion disorder or major depression.
- Conversion disorder is a psychological disorder caused by neurological symptoms during stress and may include other physical manifestations such as paralysis of a limb, deafness, blindness, and even seizures.
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) is repeated attacks of vomiting and nausea that may last for weeks, years, or even decades. The cause of CVS is unknown.
How to Stop Yourself from Throwing Up When You are Nauseous
There are many interesting (and even strange) ways to stop yourself from throwing up. Some of the most common include:
- Fresh air is one way to control the urge to vomit. Take a walk outside or just open a window.
- Eat some crackers. According to many medical studies, dry crackers, toast, or rice can settle your stomach.
- Ginger ale is another famous remedy for nausea that really works. You could also try chewing raw ginger.
- Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or placing a cool damp cloth on your head or neck.
- Pinch yourself, bite your lip, or do some other act that causes you to think of something other than your nausea.
- Inhale some alcohol Nasal inhalation of isopropyl alcohol was proven to stop vomiting twice as much as a placebo.
- Humming works by stopping the gagging reflex.
- Acupuncture is also a proven deterrent to vomiting. Press on the insides of your wrists or you can try motion sickness bands, which do the same thing.
Find Some Help
One way to find out if your nausea is physical is to see your doctor. However, if there is no concrete physical connection you can talk to a mental health care professional and find out what they think. You can talk to someone online so you do not have to wait for an appointment. After all, nobody wants to go out when they are nauseous, right? There are licensed professionals online that you can talk to that may be able to help you sort out your problems right away. In addition, if you prefer, they can find a professional in your area that will see you. Either way, it is good to talk to someone that is experienced in this type of issue.
Previous ArticleHow To Encourage Someone To Be A Better Person
Next ArticleHow To Ignore Someone: Ways To Keep From Engaging Conflict
Find a counselor who can help you.