It’s Time To Learn: How To Respect Yourself
By Marie Miguel
Updated December 07, 2018
Reviewer Judson Haynes
"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection"
What is self-respect and why is it so important?
Learning to respect and value yourself is essential for living a positive and fulfilling life. If you don't believe that you are worthy of being treated well, then, you can't expect anybody else to treat you otherwise. Self-respect stops us from allowing others to treat us unfairly. It stops us from allowing others to lie to us, and from staying in relationships that we're not gaining anything from. This hinders us from staying in a "successful" career that makes us unhappy and from spending time with people who have a negative impact in our lives.
Unfortunately, too many of us have left our self-respect behind or never had it in the first place. If you are one of those people, then, it's time to learn how to love and respect yourself.
How to Respect Yourself
Here are some rules to live by that you are showing yourself the respect you are worthy of.
- Don't settle for less. You're incredible and you deserve the best - whether it's surrounding yourself with positive people, having a fulfilling career, following your dreams, or something else great in your life.
- Don't let other people's thoughts about you shape who you are. You know yourself better than anyone so begin utilizing facts and experiences to forge a healthy self-image.
- Remind yourself of your strengths instead of focusing on the negative things in your life. You are a person worth loving and respecting, and you need to remember that.
- Forgive yourself for your mistakes, instead of beating yourself up. We all make mistakes and sometimes, we wish that we can go back and change the past. But all we can do is accept what's happened and move positively forward.
- Surround yourself with positive people. End relationships that affect you negatively. Spend your time with people who respect you and who affect you positively. Be brave and cut yourself free from people who don't treat you well.
- Be honest with yourself even when the truth is hard or uncomfortable..
- Know and stick to your own values. Know your boundaries while you practice what is right and steer clear of behaviors that don't align with your values. Don't let anybody persuade you to sway from that.
- Take good care of yourself - physically and mentally. Respect your body and your mind by eating healthily, exercising regularly, and constantly feeding your mind with knowledge. You have to relax and unwind, as well, but also find time to learn and grow.
Learning to respect yourself will help you enjoy your own company and realize what you truly want in life as you follow your dreams. You will become a happier and a more confident person with true friends who have a positive effect in your life.
If you need help to overcome an issue, learn how to respect yourself, or free yourself from past events, then, help is available. BetterHelp provides affordable counselling from licensed therapists online and from the comforts of your own home. Take the first step today.