How Men Fall In Love: Psychology of the Male Brain in Love
By: William Drake
Updated October 12, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Melinda Santa
Despite what we've been told, while there are societal differences in gender roles and behaviors, men and women are largely the same neurologically. This is important to keep in mind when we examine gender differences. So while this article specifically addresses how men fall in love, keep in mind that much of it applies to women too.
So how do you tell if a man is falling in love with you?
Here are some ways that men will show their interest in you and love for you.
- He asks you about the future. When it comes to understanding men who are single, many of them try to live and plan for themselves. When he is asking you about the future, this can be a definite sign that he wants to build a future with you.
- He will go out of his comfort zone for you. When it comes to love and relationships, men who fall deeply in love will be less afraid to try new things. A guy who doesn’t travel much may want to travel with you more. He may want to get on that ride he’s afraid of. Love doesn’t mean you should force someone to leave their comfort zone, but many of us will do it organically.
- When you see a man fall in love with a woman, he will typically refer to you as “we.” This means that the man thinks of you as a single unit, which is something he may not do with a lot of women.
- When guys fall in love with you, they may drop everything they do to talk to you. This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t give a man time to enjoy his hobbies, but it means that he’ll make time frequently talk to you.
- He’ll talk about you a lot to his friends and family. When guys fall in love, it means that he'll want to tell his friends and family about you.
- When guys fall in love, they want to make the woman happy. This isn’t to say that a man has to sacrifice his own happiness to make the woman happy, but it means that the man will want to do more to make you happy.
The key is that the man is willing to show trust, vulnerability, and love. This step can come in the form of honest conversations in which the man can open up and share. It can come in the form of a financial commitment, such as signing a lease together. The plunge can happen in a big moment, or it can take place in daily activities like walking her dog together. The essence of the plunge is an act of commitment. It does not have to be dramatic or permanent, but there is a conscious decision made to move forward in love.
After taking a plunge, there is the stage of maintaining the relationship. Reaffirmation of love must come every day. It can be simple as saying, "I love you," watching her favorite TV show with her, or bringing a cup of coffee to the bedside every morning. The reaffirmation of love also comes in larger forms like consoling your partner in tough times, aiding them in illness or other setbacks, and encouraging, supporting, and helping them accomplish their goals. The point is that love needs to be reaffirmed countless times through words and actions.
Falling In Love
This entire process is what we refer to as falling in love. From meeting each other to years of reaffirmation, this is the work of love. If work is put into a relationship, partners often attest that love grows with each day. Falling in love is a continuous process.
Falling, growing, and staying in love is an incredible experience. However, it may not be as easy as it looks in the movies. Everybody has bad days, arguments, and even relationship issues at some point. The good news is that you do not have to struggle alone. If you are having relationship problems, help is available. BetterHelp offers affordable therapy from credentialed counselors. They can help guide you so that your love remains strong. There are two counselor reviews in the next section for you to check out from people experiencing relationship issues.
"I've worked with Jamie for several months and he's helped me with everything that life has thrown my way. Difficulty in work, my relationship, and other stresses that I've struggled to navigate by myself. He listens and he helps. I always feel validated and supported. He gives me tools and perspectives that have made a big difference in my overall happiness."
"Absolutely brilliant! He helped me out of a pretty dark place and was nothing but helpful! For men who are looking for a counselor who understands what it is like to be a man in today's world with a family, with kids and responsibilities, a job, etc, I was extremely impressed with his ability to get down to it and understand what I was talking about. He's great at getting to the root of the issue too. No need to slog through 8,000 words to find out what point he's trying to make. He has a knack for asking exactly the right question in about 2-3 sentences. If you're looking for a counselor who isn't the typical counselor, he's your guy!"
Falling in love is a wonderful experience. However, it takes time, and the process can be stressful. With the right tools, you can build a truly fulfilling relationship. Take the first step today.
Previous ArticleIs Love Fleeting? How To Make It Last
Next ArticleI Can’t Fall in Love: 7 Reasons You May Be Unable To Experience Intimate Connection
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Current Events Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Inclusive Mental Health Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause Mental Health Of Men And Boys MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships and Relations Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry
Are You In A Relationship With A Narcissist? Here Are 6 Narcissistic Love Patterns To Watch Out For How To Know When It's Time To Walk Away From Love What Is The Love Hand Sign? Expressing Love In Different Ways And Languages Is He Truly In Love? Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend To Find Out I Love Your Soul: The Power Of Intimate Connections I Love Love - Is It Codependency? What To Do When You're Addicted To Love