THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE! I AM LICENSED TO TREAT CLIENTS WHO ARE IN ARKANSAS AND FLORIDA. AT THIS PARTICULAR TIME, I AM TEMPORARILY ACCEPTING FEMALE CLIENTS ONLY, PLEASE.
Welcome, where a caring and client-focused approach awaits you. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, as well as a Certified Family Trauma Professional, Certified Child & Adolescent Trauma Professional, and Certified Grief Counseling Specialist. I provide trauma therapy for children and adults (EMDR, CPT, TF-CBT), and earned an Arkansas State Board specialization in trauma.
I have expertise in blended families and coparenting issues, and am a "Smart Stepfamily" Recognized Therapy Provider, 1 of only 2 in Arkansas, and of only 25 in the U.S. I enjoy very much working with issues common to women, parenting counseling, and am a trained facilitator in the acclaimed "One Heart, Two Homes" coparenting course, which is accepted across the nation by many family court systems.
In working with grief and loss, I won't tell you you "should be over it by now", or that your grief or loss are silly. I can help you as you transition through life changes, whether that is a major relationship shift, divorce, loss, grief, empty nest syndrome, career changes, to name only a few. I can help you with your goal-setting - and then work with you to create a realistic plan on how to actually reach those goals. I have a passion for helping parents parent.
I am trained in DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy), which I consider a core therapeutic modality in emotional regulation and coping strategies.
WHAT I DO NOT TREAT:
I respectfully choose to not treat bipolar illness, borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, addictions, autism, Asperger’s or other spectrum-related issue, eating disorders, OCD, sexual disorders, SMI (serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia), suicidal or homicidal ideation or current or previous attempts. I do not treat minors under the legal age of consent or anyone who cannot independently give or decline to give consent for treatment. Temporarily, I am only accepting female new clients.
I am a strong believer that the client usually knows themselves best - and that's why I won't patronize you or treat you like a child. I listen to you, and ask about what you want different in your life. What do you want more of? Less of? How will you know you're making progress; what will that look like to you? I passionately believe that you have strengths, successes, and capabilities that you might not even realize! I practice unconditional regard, and I love my clients!
A little about me - - I became a therapist as an empty-nester, with a dream all my life of helping people. I am a former psychiatric nurse and nurse case manager. I've been in a blended family for 31 years. I'm presently a doctoral candidate towards a Ph.D. in Marriage & Family Therapy, was inducted into two national college honor societies with a 4.0 GPA in my graduate and doctoral programs, and am the recipient of the national 2020 Feldman Outstanding Research Proposal for Research in Family Policy Award by the National Council on Family Relations.
I especially value working with issues common to women. I'm also a trained professional Parent Coordinator, facilitating struggling coparents in a fair, neutral, and nonjudgmental manner. Over the years I've adopted six rescue basset hounds. I'm a bookworm of the first order. I was a divorced single parent for several years so I understand the challenges, and amazing strengths, of single parents. I am a certified facilitator in the nationally-respected "Prepare/Enrich" premarital/marital program, and I especially love premarital counseling, and can customize this work for blended-family couples. I am also trained in the Gottman method of counseling for couples, as well as Gottman Emotion Coaching. I am an EFIT, Level 1 therapist (Emotionally-Focused Individual Therapy).
I also offer Christian-based counseling if you prefer it. I consider it a privilege to pray for and with my clients if they choose. I do not reject any client based on how they live, love, believe, their background, or walk of life. All are treated equally with respect, worth, and care.
I tailor my approach to YOU. Some clients want someone to just be present, listen, and to care. I do that beautifully. Some clients want a direct and linear approach, to be held accountable, to be redirected and respectfully challenged. I do that beautifully as well. Tell me what you need in a therapist. I'm listening.
SOME DETAILS TO KNOW BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
- I am dually-licensed as a LPC and LMFT in the state of Arkansas. I have an Arkansas State Board specialization in providing technology-assisted telehealth counseling anywhere in the state of Arkansas. That can be by video or live chat. I do not text as this better protects your privacy.
- I am an approved Out-Of-State Telehealth Provider for the state of Florida. So if you are in Florida, I can provide services for you.
- I often find I have a bit more scheduling flexibility for live chat sessions than video sessions (such as nights, some weekends).
- On the Betterhelp platform sessions are typically 45 minutes. I usually do them once a week, but if you prefer more than once a week, shorter or more frequent sessions, etc.. Between sessions, you are always welcome to message me and I'll do my best to respond within 24 hours M-F.
- I am a morning person and even early morning sessions as early as 6 or 7 AM are fine with me. This is often great for those working at night.
- I am unable to provide crisis or emergency management at anytime. Crisis / emergency care is typically beyond the level of care that Betterhelp can realistically be expected to provide via a remote, virtual, platform. If you have an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest healthcare provider, such as an ER.
- It is only fair to inform you of this right up front, so that you have plenty of opportunity to find a different therapist if anything in the following paragraph is likely or is your goal:
I do not write letters. Fill out forms. Write ESA letters. Fight the VA, Social Security, Workmen's Comp, your employer, your ex, or any other organization or person for you. I do not go to court so if this is your aim, I respectfully ask you to please find another therapist now. I do not get involved in custody or any other legal issues. I do not conduct custody evaluations (it is unethical for any therapist to do evaluations (such as custody), and therapy, for the same client at the same time).
- If I am subpoenae'd or expected in any way, shape or form to have ANY COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER with your attorney, court, physician, other providers, judge, etc...., my professional fees are charged separately and may be required to be paid in advance. If I am required by a court to testify, produce documents, etc., this can mean that all information about your therapy may be mandated to be given to a court of law, including what might be sensitive information you might not have counted on ever being released, which then typically becomes public record, and that may be outside the therapist's control.
- Betterhelp does not file / bill insurance, so I do not provide a DSM-V diagnosis code.
- Please coordinate directly with me, rather than the automatic online scheduling system, to make an appointment. This way I can promise you the most convenient and most accurate appt. available. It's not carved in stone; if you really need a different time/date, let me know. While I can't guarantee, I'll do my best to work around that.
- For my license and ethical requirements, and for the protection of your privacy, I REQUIRE AT OUR FIRST SESSION:
- Your photo ID and your physical address / location. I must be able to know who I am working with. Don't worry; your HIPAA privacy rights are still fully protected on the Betterhelp.com website, and I'm not going to come knocking on your front door.
- You to verify when we meet that you are inside Arkansas or Florida. If you're not inside Arkansas or Florida (unfortunately, even for temporary travel), I am prohibited by law from providing licensed therapy to you at that time.
- Any medium of recording at anytime is strictly prohibited. This can include but not be limited to phone, Smart device, recorder, computer, camera, etc.
- Your time, and my time, are valuable. I customarily wait 5 minutes live online for the client to arrive ready to begin our telehealth session. After 5 minutes, I have the discretion to continue the session when the client does appear, or to reschedule for another time. Session times and fees are not prorated. If a session begins late, it will still end at the regular time. If there are more than 1-2 no-shows, therapy may be terminated.
- I take no-shows seriously. They are a serious disruption of critical resources such as non-renewable time, often the therapist's advance preparation, and space reserved that cannot be used for any other client or even the therapist. When a client no-shows or abruptly cancels, it means I don't earn a salary - but I've already invested the time and the preparation. I take that seriously; I am out not only income, but also time. I'll give one "get out of jail free card" and after that, if a no-show happens again, it's a pattern and I will address it as a part of therapy, and/or consider terminating our therapy.
- Since the client has 24-hour access to their own appointment schedule on the Betterhelp platform, I do not send reminders of upcoming appointments. I also don't pursue clients to follow up, or to schedule more appointments. I won't work harder than the client. If a client isn't responding, making appts., then I respect that and consider it communication and will respectfully not pursue the client.
- I get it - life happens. If you need to reschedule, no problem. Just let me know with at least 24 hours advance notice so that another client can have that space.
- Nothing is more bewildering than a client who "ghosts". This means they "disappear"....we're doing important work together, and "poof!" - they stop their subscription or change therapists or stop attending sessions or responding to messages. Therapist-client "fit" is delicate, dynamic, and different for every therapist and client. If you are not satisfied, if you want more or less or different, I am listening and want to hear your constructive feedback, but please don't "ghost" me. I'm human and it hurts and I'm left to wonder - are you okay? Was something wrong? If you're not satisfied that is very important to me because I care about you being a satisfied client. If you feel there has been a mistake made somewhere, please give me the fair opportunity to hear it and do my utmost to repair it. That's just decent. Ghosting and no-showing are neither considerate or cool. I appreciate and value opportunity to have clear and respectful communication with my clients.
- Our work together is entirely online. You will need high speed internet. I have no control over when there are internet issues that may impact our session. I've seen issues such as inclement weather; i.e. snow, storms, or slow internet, slow down, freeze, or cut off sessions. If this happens, it is regrettable and annoying for both of us. If it happens more than about twice in our session, it may start affecting the quality and time in our session together so we may talk about scheduling for another time. No, you will absolutely not be penalized for this. Let's reschedule and make sure you get to have your full session.
DISCLAIMER: I take licensure, legal and ethical responsibilities of my profession very seriously. If I cannot verify the identity of who I'm communicating with, if I don't have the assurance the client is inside Arkansas or Florida, then I must decline to provide services.
Thank you! I am looking forward to meeting you and working with you (and thanks for reading all this! :) ). I can't wait to hear what you want in your life, and I honor your courage and dedication to be the best you can be. Let's begin!
Mary Anne Gunter, MS, LPC, LMFT, CFTP, CATP, CGCS
- Relationship issues
- Family conflicts
- Trauma and abuse
- Parenting issues
Stress, Anxiety , Intimacy-related issues , Anger management , Self esteem , Career difficulties , Coping with life changes , Compassion fatigue , ADHD , Aging and Geriatric Issues , Attachment Issues , Blended Family Issues , Caregiver Issues and Stress , Chronic Pain Illness and Disability , Codependency , Commitment Issues , Communication Problems , Control Issues , Dependent Personality , Divorce and Separation , Emptiness , Family of Origin Issues , Family Problems , Forgiveness , Guilt and Shame , Infidelity , Isolation/Loneliness , Jealousy , Life Purpose , Midlife Crisis , Posttraumatic Stress , Self-Harm , Self-Love , Sexual Assault and Abuse , Women's Issues , Workplace Issues Read more...
Attachment-Based Therapy, Client-Centered Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Gottman Method, Motivational Interviewing, Narrative Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Trauma-Focused Therapy
LPC #P2008070 (Expires: 2023-06-30)
LMFT #M2008012 (Expires: 2023-06-30)
Mary Anne was very timely for all our sessions. She took wonderful notes that would allow her to pick us back up where we'd left off after how much ever time and refer to things we'd talked about before when they came up again.
She connected with me and found ways to communicate in ways that spoke to me and allowed me to hear in a way that I may not have in the past. Would highly recommend her.
Mary Ann has been extremely helpful.
She listens and remembers little comments made in previous sessions. I like that.
Mary Anne is absolutely fantastic at her profession, and absolutely worth every bit of my contribution
I have enjoyed my visits with Mary Anne. She encourages me to think about things, more than I normally would. I appreciate her.
Mary Anne is wonderful!!