What Helps Anxiety? 7 Tips To Decrease Anxiety Symptoms
Updated January 22, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Maria Abada, LPC
Anxiety is a common thing that everyone experiences at some point in their lifetime. It can often be uncomfortable, but there are ways to cope with this feeling positively. Here’s a look at anxiety, including tips on how to decrease the symptoms associated with anxiety.
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a normal feeling characterized by worry or fear. For instance, if you have a big presentation or test, you may be anxious about how you will perform. When you don’t know how an event will turn out, there is a tendency to be anxious about it. You are nervous about the unknown, and this is fine.
Is Anxiety Serious?
In many cases, anxiety is no cause for concern. However, when you are anxious for a long period, or your anxiety is negatively affecting multiple aspects of your life, you may need to seek treatment. If you experience anxiety for an extended period, you may have an anxiety disorder.
Anxiety can also coexist in the presence of other mental health issues, including depression. Anxiety and depression can have symptoms that resemble each other, but they are in different conditions. This is why it is important to seek treatment when you feel like you have anxiety and depression, or you suspect you may have either of these conditions.
Symptoms Of Anxiety
Here is a look at some of the symptoms you should look out for.
- Increased heart rate
- Feelings of panic of fear
- Feeling nervous
- Having trouble breathing
- Focusing only on your fear or worry
- Avoidance of certain situations
- Unable to sleep
- Issues going to the bathroom
- Excessive sweating
- Anxiety attacks
What Is An Anxiety Attack?
Anxiety attacks happen when a person is fearful or is experiencing stress about an event or something that is affecting their life. Anxiety attacks cause a person to worry, and they can become overwhelmed. They are similar to panic attacks but are considered to be two different things. Anxiety and panic affect the body in similar ways, so it can be hard to tell the difference. You may need to visit a professional to know for sure which you are experiencing.
A significant difference between the two is that with an anxiety attack, you may experience one after you have been worrying about something for quite a while. A panic attack usually comes on suddenly. This is quite a distinction between the two.
Another difference is that an anxiety attack can last for hours at a time, and affect you for months, although the symptoms may not be too intense the whole time.
Some symptoms that can be present with anxiety attacks are feeling irritable, feeling fearful, pain in the chest, dry mouth, being easily startled, not being able to breathe, and tingling in the body. Anxiety attacks can feel like a very serious issue and cause you to worry. If this is the case for you, you can consult with a doctor to make sure that you are in good health.
Tips To Decrease Anxiety Symptoms
These are helpful tips meant to decrease your symptoms.
- Get the right amount of sleep. Getting the proper amount of sleep at night is important for several reasons. One is that your mind and body can reset, which helps you make better decisions when you wake up. This can also help stabilize your moods and allow you to be able to get through your daily tasks. Try to go to sleep at the same time each night, even on the weekends. After doing this for a while, your body may start to get tired at the same time each day, which could mean you will have an easier time going to sleep each night.
- Learn how to breathe. Breathing deeply can often help regulate anxious physical symptoms. When you breathe in deeply, not only does oxygen enter your body, but you also have to take a minute to change what you are doing. Sometimes when you take yourself out of a stressful situation for a few minutes, you can gain a completely new perspective on what’s going on. Try to stop and take deep breaths whenever you start to feel anxious or stressed.
- Eat healthy meals. Eating a healthy diet is good for your overall health, and it gives you the vitamins you need to keep going. Try to eat the best foods you can and eat a balanced diet. When you are eating the right foods, this is one less aspect of your life that can cause you strife. Moreover, certain foods are thought to ease anxiety. A 2011 study suggests that the proper amount of Omega-3 in the diet can lessen anxiety in some individuals.
- Pay attention to triggers. You should start to weed out the things that trigger you. In some cases, these things may be obvious, but at other times, you may have trouble pinpointing them. A good rule of thumb is to start writing down what happens to you in a journal so that you can rule out certain foods, events, and habits. This is also something that you should discuss with a therapist who may be able to help you recognize certain things that trigger your anxiety.
- Challenge anxious thoughts. Challenging anxious thoughts can help you address your \ stress. For example, if your brain tells you that you need to feel apprehensive about a situation, you may be able to recall a time when you did something similar, and it turned out okay. Again, this is a technique that will work out better when you have a professional counselor’s help as well. They should be able to explain how this process works and provide furth
There are essentially two treatment options to consider when you need to treat anxiety and the symptoms associated with anxiety.
Another type of treatment for anxiety is psychotherapy. This option may be able to help you learn how to think differently, manage your anxiety and stress, and a therapist may also be able to provide you with more tools to help you handle certain situations more effectively.
In some instances, treatment for anxiety can be handled through the use of online therapy. A 2019 study published in JMIR Formative Research suggests that online therapy for anxiety may be able to provide lasting results for those experiencing social anxiety.
If you are interested in online therapy, you may want to consider BetterHelp. This company provides each patient they help with many options, and they have licensed therapists who can help around the clock. It’s very convenient to be able to get help when you turn to online therapy.
Working through issues feels much easier when you’re able to get therapy at a pace that is comfortable for you. You can overcome anxiety symptoms and take control of your life once more. Just reach out to an online therapist whenever you’re ready to move forward.
Anxiety is something that can really change how you live your life, especially if you experience anxiety attacks and other life-altering symptoms associated with anxiety. Some tips can help you lessen these things, and you may also be able to get rid of your anxiety altogether.
Seek out help for your anxiety as soon as you can, where you can gain knowledge and tools to allow you to become less fearful about situations and circumstances. Anxiety is a part of life, but it doesn’t have to prevent you from living the life you want. There are many ways to change your life and habits, so be sure to take care of yourself and do your best to lessen the overall stress in your life.
Previous ArticleHow To Treat Anxiety In 3 Steps
Next ArticleHow To Fight Anxiety: Tips And Tricks
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry
How Do You Know If You Have Anxiety: Signs, Symptoms, And When To Get Help How To Get Rid Of Social Anxiety: Tips And Tricks Effective Ways On How To Lower Anxiety Practical Ways To Cope With Anxiety What Is An Anxiety Attack? 10 Ways To Recognize And Cope With An Anxiety Attack Spiraling Out Of Control: How To Stay Calm When Dealing With Anxiety