Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Running Away
Is it normal to want to run away?
Most times, when you are depressed, you may tend to lock yourself away from everyone and everything around you. This implies that the feeling of depression may be overwhelming to the extent that it may result in claustrophobia in some individuals. However, running away or staying away from everyone may not be the best available option even if it may, sometimes, be normal in several individuals. You should strive to seek ways to overcome it.
So here are 5 questions you can ask yourself if you feel like you want to run away:
- What or who is it that you are running away from?
- What is it that this situation or person is doing that is causing you distress?
- What would you like to say to them that can’t be said right now?
- What would you like to change that feels stuck right now?
- If you could wake up tomorrow and a miracle had happened, what change would you see in your life?
It would be beneficial to find a licensed therapist who can help you sort out your feelings.
What to do if you want to run away?
What should I do if I want to run away?
Is it OK to want to run away?
Can I just run away and start over?
How much money do you need to successfully run away?
Can I run away at 13?
What country can I run away to?
How do you disappear and start a new life?
What if I run away from home?
How do you start a new life and run away with no money?
Wanting to run away?
Ask these questions first:
What's responsible for your condition?
It's commonly known that an identified challenge is easy to deal with than one that is yet to be unraveled. It's important to, therefore, know that for you to be with the thought of running away, something is definitely responsible. It will look like a mental challenge if you run with nothing prompting it. So, you should ask yourself "what are you running away from?". There are different things that may be responsible. It may be your job or different affairs of life. So, when you make an effort to identify the specific thing responsible, to deal with it won't be of much trouble.
When should being alone be considered?
There are different things that may be responsible for your condition. Actually, it may be from you to others or from others to you. Anyhow it is, it may result in you having the thought of running away. Staying long with many people may lead to overwhelmedness in some individuals which may disrupt the way they think and eventually result in wanting to run away. However, there are different things that can be done in this situation. Time alone may be strongly recommended just to reorganize your thoughts and become refreshed. You may be alone in your room engaging in doing different things such as watching TV, reading, and whatnots.
Should a clear out be considered?
Yes, a clear-out is very important. It is mostly useful when your condition is irresistibly strong. How can this be done? All you need to do to dejunk a long time accumulated stuff which overwhelmingly has occupied your minds. Getting rid of them will offer an expectable alleviation and positive changes in your moods. Your situation might have been made deterioratingly affected by consistent nagging, rebuke, or scolding. Free your mind of the painful and obnoxious events of the past and make effort to clear them out of your minds.
How helpful is a day trip?
A day trip may be what you really need. You do not want to deny yourself of it. This may be of help to make you have the satisfaction that you have accomplished what you desperately anticipated. When you go on a day trip, it indirectly stands in place of you intending to run away. So, basically, you run away successfully for a day. You can visit the beach, explore an available park, stomping in some woods, and whatnots.
Can going home be helpful?
Home is technically where you first knew what love and care are. It's is where you enjoy during your childhood security and pure joy. This may sometimes be the better place to go to. Seeing your loved ones may boost your moods and increase your level of comfort and mental stability.
What are the other means of escapism?
Running away doesn't always necessarily refer to a physical act. Escaping your present reality may take different forms which may include studying (of course, you can go places even without leaving the four corners of your room through reading). Sometimes, depression may disrupt a good and effective reading. With this, you may opt for audiobooks. Other available means of escape may be playing games and getting sucked in into the fantasy world
How important is reaching out?
If you feel more desperate about running out, it's professionally advisable that you seek assistance. This assistance can be medical or nonmedical. You can reach out to your family and trusted friends. You can relieve yourself of what's bothering you if you can just take the step of telling someone about it.
Can I just run away and start over?
Maybe you feel stuck, or maybe you’re feeling restless with your nomadic life. It’s been a long time since you’ve had dreams, and certainly a long time since you’ve been happy, and you feel the urge to escape. Either way you want to run away from your current life and start over. Yes, you can simply run away, and you can always start over, but that doesn't mean that should. A safe conversation or sometimes a person to talk to is all you need to take a new approach for the existing issue and sort it out. If you are not in any impending danger and you believe you can make you current situation better through therapy, self-help, and other positive avenues, then it’s probably better to try and make it work before choosing to run away and start over. Many times, though, counseling and other therapeutic measure, deep-rooted issues are revealed where they can then be worked on. Because if those issues aren’t dealt with, then you’ll simply take the problems that are making want to run away and start over along with you to your new life where you may find yourself wanting to run away and start over again.It would help to find a therapist who can guide you through with what you’re feeling.
How do you escape life for a while?
Here are some great ways to escape life for a while:
- Clear your mind: When considering this type of escape, you probably just want to clear your mind of all the daily clutter
- Listen to music
- Practice yoga
- Daydream: Allow yourself to daydream in the peace and quiet. Daydreaming is the perfect mental escape.
- Visit a new place
- Take a virtual escape
How do I start a new life?
Here are some helpful ways to begin a new life:
- Learn something new
- Take steps to face your fear
- Maintain a meaningful social circle
- Take ownership
- Pay attention to your dreams
- Tap into your creativity
What is escapist behavior?
If you tend to avoid reality by fantasizing about your dream scenario, then chances are you are an escapist. But it is not all bad being an escapist; like everything else in life, it does have its good and bad traits. But believe it or not, there’s an escapist in all of us. But some of us tend to take escapism to the next level and this can be quite bad. There good and bad signs when it comes to being an escapist. The good signs tend to lead to creativity and exploration, but the bad signs lead to procrastination and not being able to accept reality. If you do have difficulty in accepting reality and pursuing your passion, you might benefit from seeking professional help and taking some mental health therapy tests to determine if there are any underlying issues. Find a therapist or other mental health professional to help guide you.
- You daydream (a lot). If you tend to daydream (a lot), then you could be an escapist. Escapists are people who want to create their own reality whilst they go about their daily routine. And these daydreams don’t tend to happen purposefully; they actually happen quite naturally when you don’t expect it.
- You are very creative. If you are capable of making your own alternate reality in your mind, then you must be one imaginative and creative person. And because you developed this habit of imagining, you regularly exercise your creative muscles so you come up with new ideas all the time. If you think about it, some of the most creative works of literature or art (like Stars Wars, Batman—you name it) are all set in a dystopian universe.
- You want to live life on your own terms. If you are an escapist, chances are you are working in a job that you don’t really like. And you probably have this burning desire to quit your job. But being an escapist is not just about wishing to quit your job; there could be many things in your life that you wish weren’t there. They could be finance or family-related, and things which you don’t have control over. Escapists like yourself are longing to free from their shackles and live life on their own terms.
- You love to travel the world. You’re quick to be bitten by the travel bug, and by traveling, it is not your usual going to a beach and partying type of vacation. Your idea of traveling is to explore and to embrace the vibrant cultures that the world would has to offer. And since you are an escapist, you’ll be easily drawn to pictures being posted on social media where your friends are showing off their latest traveling adventures and you can’t help but to feel slightly envious.
- You enjoy reading fiction like fantasy and sci-fi. As mentioned in one of the previous signs, escapist are incredibly creative and they’re responsible for creating the greatest works of fiction, especially in the fantasy and sci-fi genre. And as a fellow escapist, you admire their work because it allows you to be a part of their imaginary universe. It gives you a chance to escape.
- Your desire to quit your job may lead you to under-perform in your job. This is a classic sign for anyone who is an escapist. Chances are, if you are an escapist, then you may hate your job. There’s a part of you who wants to go on to achieve greater things, perhaps a better career, or you want to do something that you love. So, you continue to daydream while at work and lose focus of what you should be doing. And because of this, you are at risk of under-performing in your job.
- You may be addicted to video games. Video games have evolved so much recently that you actually feel as if you are a part of their pixelated world. Like many escapists, you are probably addicted to playing video games, and that is because these games allow you to escape into an imaginary reality. Games like the SIMs are becoming more popular because it allows you to create your own alternative version of yourself where you are living your dream world. And because you are so submersed in your universe that you have created, you don’t want to let it go. If you feel you’re addicted to video games or anything else, it would help to find a therapist to speak with.
- You realize the world is a harsh place. This is very common characteristic of all escapists, and it should be seen as a sign. As an escapist, you will have probably imagined this amazing future where you will be living the life of your dream. But when you go and pursue this dream, the shock of what the world is really like disappoints you. You will quickly realize this so go back to just imagining your dream world, where you feel happy.
- You tend to procrastinate. Although you may have all these aspirations to live your dream life, the truth is something is holding you back and it is preventing you from pursuing passion. The one thing that is holding you back is your fear of failure. In fact, you’re petrified of failure. You keep asking all these “what ifs” and they all revolve around failure. And because of this, you end up staying where you are, and you start procrastinating.
- You can’t face uncertainty. Similar to the last point, another sign which coincides with procrastination is your inability to face uncertainty. Your alternate dream world is where you go to escape the actual reality that you find difficult to accept. When you face uncertain situations, you tend to start procrastinating and start to fantasize. And that’s because you find certainty and security in your dream.
How do you escape reality?
Escaping reality doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t stay at home. Here are some ideas:
- Get back to reading books regularly
- Catch up on movies
- Explore television and film genres you wouldn't usually watch
- Get out of the city and go camping or hiking in a wide open forest
- Learn how to cook
- Take up some form of writing
- Take a REAL vacation and turn off your cell phone and all social media
What is the best age to run away from home?
The bottom line is that there is no “best” age to run away from home, whether elementary school, middle school, or high school age.Running away is a very serious problem. According to the National Runaway Switchboard, an organization that takes calls and helps kids who have run away or are thinking of running away, 1 in 7 kids between the ages of 10 and 18 will run away at some point. And there are 1 million to 3 million runaway and homeless kids living on the streets in the United States.The better option is to seek professional help to figure out where the desire to run away comes from. Find a therapist or other mental health professional to assist.
Many kids who run away envision having no more rules, no structured family life with boundaries, no parents around to tell them what to do, and no more arguments – an American dream, albeit false. That it will be fun. But there’s a big difference between what kids think the world is and what it’s really like. However, in reality, running away is anything but fun. Kids and teens who run away face new problems like not having any money, food to eat, countless hours a day without a safe place to sleep or anyone to look out for them. They rarely, if ever, feel safe at all. People with no home and no money become desperate, doing anything just to meet their basic needs. Because of this, they often find themselves in risky situations that would be frightening, even for adults. Runaway kids get involved in dangerous crimes much more often than kids who live at home.
Kids who live on the streets often have to steal to meet basic needs. Many take drugs or alcohol to get through the day because they become so depressed and feel that no one cares about them or thinks about them coming home. Some are forced to do things they wouldn't normally do to make money. The number of kids with HIV or AIDS and other diseases is higher on streets, too, because these kids might use IV drugs or have unprotected sex, often for money.
It’s important to note, however, that if your life is at risk, if you’re being abused emotionally, physically, or otherwise, being neglected, or are facing any life-threatening circumstances, you should immediately leave the location and then notify the proper authorities.
The National Runaway Switchboard at (800) 621-4000 is open 24 hours a day and the call is free.
What country is best to run away to?
In today's hustle bustle of the city life, stress of the job and unnecessary noise, all we are looking for is some peace and quiet. During the time that countries around the world are being cornered by terrorism, pollution and unnecessary domestic debates, one can't help but look for a recreational visit to a peaceful country to run away to. Here’s a list of the best countries to run away to:
- Iceland is regarded as the most peaceful region in the world, despite how small and cold it is. Iceland. Iceland is regarded as the most peaceful region in the world, despite how small and cold it is.
- The world's second most peaceful country has been Denmark. Denmark enjoys a stable government which leads to an appeased population. In fact, Denmark has virtually no violent demonstrations and has very few people in prison.
- Yet another European small country, Austria makes its way to the top 3 because of combined factors of security in the society and least amounts of domestic conflicts! Ever since the end of World War 2, Austria has sworn itself to neutrality!
- New Zealand. In 2011, New Zealand was ranked the second most peaceful country in the world. This could be the reason that it is now one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world over the past year. 'Absence of violence' has been regarded as the reason why it is this peaceful!
- Among the top 5 of the most peaceful countries in the world falls Switzerland. Whether it's the country's low crime rates or more importantly, it's open cannabis usage, it is the best place to go after selling all your belongings!
- Despite its turbulent history, Finland has managed to be a mediator in a number of crises and also have minimum military activity. Did you know, Finland's military activity is only volunteer-based and has only been with peacekeeping missions of the UN?
- A non-European country that has swiftly made its way to this list is Canada. The diversity, welcoming society and negligible enemies, makes this country a must-visit.
- It is often said that the people of Japan are the least hostile people! Japanese people participate in collective self-defense, which changes their military framework.
- New Zealand's neighbor, Australia, too is considered to be a very peaceful country. The pleasant climate, friendly people and a great life expectancy gets it here.
- Czech Republic.
Where is the best place to run away to?
- Work on a yacht. Doesn’t sound so bad, right? If you’ve ever wanted to travel the high seas of the Caribbean and Mediterranean, working on a luxurious private yacht may be your ideal. Depending on your experience, you can apply as an engineer, chef, or maid. All of which pay considerably and provide you with free room and board. You can travel the world while at work! The best places to seek out this line of work are the harbors of Spain, Southern France, and Ft. Lauderdale.Yes, work on a yacht. Sounds like a really good job to have.
- Volunteer. The Peace Corps is one great option. It generally consists of recent college graduates but has many older professionals as well. There’s a time commitment. You can pick what region of the world you would like to go to but can’t pick the specific country.
- Go backpacking. Whether you’re 18, fresh out of high school, or 65, there are no prejudices among travelers. You’ll be able to meet new people from all backgrounds, cultures, nationalities, and ages who share a single passion – backpacking and travel – for hours a day and anywhere around the world.
- Take a road trip across America. Yes, the American dream of hitting the open road in the wide-open space, throwing caution to the wind, saddling up on that two-wheeler, and having no destination. Hitting the road may actually be just the thing you need!
How do I just pack up and leave?
- Ask yourself where you want to go and why. Make a rough sketch of an itinerary. It will help you determine what to bring with you. It doesn’t have to be logistically sound at this point, in fact, sketch your ideas on a napkin in your favorite coffee shop while you wait for your cell phone to charge.
- Invest some time researching travel credit cards and travel insurance.
- Sell your furniture in a secondhand market. Research into how much its worth depending on its age, condition, and demand. Sell them at a higher price point than what you would expect to make to allow room for bargaining. People will bargain.
- Cut down on physical things if you are the type to keep a lot of stuff. Stop buying new stuff, unless it is consumable or a travel necessity.
- Quit that good job you have several weeks before the date of your travel.
- Pay respects to the friends and communities who contributed to your personal growth, because who knows how long it will be before you see them again. Wish them good luck and all the best.
- Ask yourself, once more, where you want to go and why. Will your trip will put your life on hold or move you toward something bigger? Seriously ponder at this question. Do I just pack up and leave?
Why is it illegal to run away?
Running away from home is illegal when the person involved is a minor. This is because they are still underage and also legally under the supervision and protection of their parents or guardians. The teenage runaways may not be seen to have committed a crime in some states, but there are states where runways, their parents, and adults that take them in after they run away from home are prosecuted under the law. According to the National runaway safeline," harboring a runaway is illegal."
In addition, running away from home by a minor can be classified as a status offense. It relates to the violation of law by a minor. These violations may involve the use of alcohol, violating curfew, truancy, and becoming uncontrollable. These violations may require a specific education and counseling, suspension of driver's license( if found driving), restitution and fines, and made them live with someone who's not their parent or guardian.
Is it a good idea to run away as a child or at any age?
The answer to this question is 'no". Although running away from home may sound great, there are cons of running which may include starvation, strandedness, desperation, insecurity, inconvenient shelter, and improper care for teenagers.
How do you run away as a child or at any age without getting caught?
Running away from home without getting caught can be very difficult.
This is because for it to be realized, you will need to make some basic plans that will keep you from being found. Before making the decision to run away from home, you may need to make some preparations relating to where to stay, what to eat, how to stay secured, etc. If you have the right reason to run away from home the following are other essentials to consider before you decide to run away and after you have:
- You must be alright financially.
- Plan your method of transportation.
- Live where food can be got nearby
- Don't fake your accent. It makes you conspicuous
- Keep yourself healthy ( maintain good hygiene and eat a balanced diet)
- Don't let desperation lead you to inimical behavior and a wrong attitude
- Avoid drug or substance abuse
- Don't get arrested
Why do kids run away?
No one will decide to run away from home if things are going normally as they should. There are quite a number of reasons why some kids feel like running away from home or from school. These may be because they are experiencing serious home issues which may include neglect, addiction to alcohol and drug( theirs or parents), mental health challenges, sexual abuse or exploitation, and violence. It has also been discovered that some kids ran away from home or school because they were bullied, experiencing difficulties in relationships, battling with isolation and loneliness, and family breakdown.
Where can I go if I ran away from home and be safe?
The first thing that you must think about is where you can go if you decide to run away from home( even before you think about how to run away). You should know that your safety is paramount. Ensure you have a safe place in mind. You can decide to run to a trusted friend or a reliable relative, but ensure you call them to know if they are available.
Sometimes, several people find themselves in a situation where there is nowhere to go. Therefore, such people may need the help of social services. Social services make provision for emergency housing. Here, you can stay safe. You can get in touch with them through Runaway Helplines which is available 24/7, free, and confidential.
In addition, if you don't know how to run away or have where to run away to, the National Runaway Safeline can actually be helpful if you contact them. Through the National Runaway safeline, you can find shelter.
Is it smart to run away as a child or at any age?
It won't be smart of you if you decide to run away from home without having a good reason and a safe place to stay. If you strongly feel like running away from home, you are advised to contact the National Runaway Safeline. The National Runaway Safeline will help you on what do and where to stay if running away is essential.
Why do teens run away?
From different case reports, it has been discovered that teens run away from home, most times, because of family issues. These family problems may interfere with their comfortability. Sometimes, these problems emerge from quarrels over things such as strict rules, grades, or money. Other things that can also be responsible may include how they are exposed to drugs and alcoholic substances— teens commonly seek how to run away from home because of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse or exploitation.
Therapy Is Personal
Therapy is a personal experience, and not everyone will go into it seeking the same things. But, keeping these nine things in mind can ensure that you will get the most out of online therapy, regardless of what your specific goals are.If you’re still wondering if therapy
is right for you, and how much therapy costs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. BetterHelp specializes in online therapy to help address all types of mental health concerns. If you’re interested in individual therapy, please reach out to email@example.com
. For more information about BetterHelp as a company, please find us on
If you need a crisis hotline or want to learn more about therapy or mental health, please see below:
For more information on mental health, please see:
- SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) SAMHSA Facebook, SAMHSA Twitter
- Mental Health America, MHA Twitter, MHA Facebook, MHA Instagram, MHA Pinterest
- WebMD, WebMD Facebook, WebMD Twitter, WebMD Pinterest
- NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health), NIMH Facebook, NIMH Twitter, NIMH YouTube
- APA (American Psychiatric Association), APA Twitter, APA Facebook, APA LinkedIN, APA Instagram