20 Best Intimacy Quotes To Improve Any Relationship
By Danni Peck
Updated February 05, 2020
Reviewer Whitney White, MS. CMHC, NCC., LPC
Love has been the theme of countless books, art pieces and songs for centuries. The magnitude of emotions that come along with developing a relationship is inspiring. Much like the chaos of the creative process, a relationship can encounter its unique hurdles that couples must overcome. Intimacy, often confused with physical lust, is one of them. Although intimacy can include physical displays of affection, the truth behind this word is far weightier than the superficial.
Intimacy is defined as, "a close association with or detailed knowledge or deep understanding of a place, subject, or period of history." No doubt, successful relationships are built on a mutual, deep understanding of one another. The bond is much more profound than love itself. They can genuinely enjoy each other's company while engaging in the most mundane activities.
Naturally, even the happiest of couples experience intimacy issues throughout their courtship. Similar to the beauty of songs and books, quotes are also fantastic resources for reviving the intimacy in your relationship. Our comprehensive list contains some of the best intimacy quotes from a wide range of individuals. By taking these quotes to heart and applying them in your relationship, over time, you and your partner can build and sustain your intimacy.
- "It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy. It is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others." - Jane Austen
- "The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention." -John Green
- "Can the purpose of a relationship be to trigger our wounds? In a way, yes, because that is how healing happens - darkness must be exposed before it can be transformed. The purpose of an intimate relationship is not that it be a place where we can hide from our weaknesses, but rather where we can safely let them go. It takes strength of character to truly delve into the mystery of an intimate relationship because it takes strength to endure a kind of psychic surgery, an emotional and psychological and even spiritual initiation into the higher self. Only then can we know an enchantment that lasts." -Marianne Williamson
- "True intimacy is a human constant. People of all types find it equally hard to achieve, equally precious to hold. Age, education, social status, make little difference here; even genius does not presuppose the talent to reveal one's self completely and completely absorb one's self in another personality. Intimacy is to love what concentration is to work: a simultaneous drawing together to attention and release of energy." - Robert Grudin
- "It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being." -John Joseph Powell
- "If you love a person and live the whole life with him or with her, a great intimacy will grow, and love will have deeper and deeper revelations to make to you. It is not possible if you go to changing partners very often. It is as if you go on changing a tree from one place to another, then another; then it never grows roots anywhere. To grow roots, a tree needs to remain in one place. Then it goes deeper; then it becomes stronger. Intimacy is good, and to remain in one commitment is beautiful, but the basic necessity is love. If a tree is rooted in a place where there are only rocks, and they are killing the tree, then it is better to remove it. Then don't insist that it should remain in the one place. Remain true to life - remove the tree, because now it is going against life." -Osho
- "Anyone who is in love is making love the whole time, even when they're not. When two bodies meet, it is just the cup overflowing. They can stay together for hours, even days. They begin the dance one day and finish it the next, or-such is the pleasure they experience-they may never finish it. No eleven minutes for them." -Paulo Coelho
- "I taste him, and I realize I have been starving." -Jodi Picoult
- "There's nothing more intimate in life than simply being understood. And understanding someone else." -Brad Meltzer
- "The trick is to find the balance between the bright colors of humor and the serious issues of identity, self-loathing, and the possibility for intimacy and love when it seems no longer possible or, sadder yet, no longer necessary." -Wendy Wasserstein
- "Passion is the quickest to develop, and the quickest to fade. Intimacy develops more slowly, and commitment more gradually still." -Robert Sternberg
- "The married are those who have taken the terrible risk of intimacy and, having taken it, know life without intimacy to be impossible." -Carolyn Heilbrun
- "Intimacy requires courage because risk is inescapable. We cannot know at the outset how the relationship will affect us." -Rollo May
- "I feel like we're all here on this planet, and intimacy is important. I can't bear small talk. It's awful. I want to get beyond that thing of discussing how the weather is a bit better today than it was yesterday, and how this is a nice restaurant. I want to get to what are the problems, what's really going on. Are you in love? Are you in a lot of pain? What's really going on in your life? I'm interested in that area, whether it's on stage or in real life." -Simon Amstell
- "This is intimacy: the trading of stories in the dark." -Elizabeth Gilbert
- "The highest form of love is the love that allows for intimacy without the annihilation of difference." -Parker J. Palmer
- "And when one of them meets the other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair is lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy and one will not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment…" -Plato
- "They spent their time doing nothing… they let intimacy fuse them."-Jean Genet
- "Never are voices so beautiful as on a winter's evening, when dusk almost hides the body, and they seem to issue from nothingness with a note of intimacy seldom heard by day." -Virginia Woolf
- "In my mind, marriage is a spiritual partnership and union in which we willingly give and receive love, create and share intimacy, and open ourselves to be available and accessible to another human being in order to heal, learn and grow." -Iyanla Vanzant
Many would assume that true intimacy is acquired through years of acquaintance. However, merely knowing someone could result in countless shallow conversations, which result in meaninglessness. True intimacy constitutes striving to understand the soul of a person - their experiences, feelings, and disposition. This, as mentioned, could be accomplished in a short span of time. The key here is taking a genuine interest in someone without needing something in return. It's an irreplaceable bond of understanding where two people can release their inner demons and not fear judgment from their loved one. That constant realization of uncompromising support separates physical intimacy from spiritual intimacy.
Lust is based upon the physical looks of someone - their allure, their features, their appeal. With time, those elements fade and all that's left is their inner beauty. The importance of focusing on connecting with your loved one on a deeper level is imperative.
If you and your mate feel that intimacy is an area that needs improvement, think about consulting with a professional for assistance. Follow the link and allow a professional licensed therapist to help you and your partner become the best versions of yourselves together. (https://www.betterhelp.com/start/)