Rules To Live By For A Happier, Fuller Life
Updated December 06, 2018
Reviewer April Brewer , DBH, LPC
Day to day, we go through our lives. We meet new people, make decisions, have arguments, and make mistakes. As people, we have aspirations and dreams. We also have good days and bad days, happy days and sad days.
Sometimes, life can be a struggle. Life decisions can be difficult. We chase our dreams and sometimes we put them on hold for many reasons. Half the time, we don't even know what we want. Other days, we just feel lost somewhere between trying to manage relationships, work, money and everything else that life throws at us. But it IS possible to lead a happier and fuller life by following these 6 rules to live by.
Rules to Live by
- Appreciate what you have and never compare yourself to others. People will always have something that you don't have. But guess what? You will always have things they don't have too. Value those things. The grass always seems greener on the other side, but the reality is that it often isn't. Stop comparing yourself to others or wishing that your life was like theirs. Whether it's their job, their partner, their looks or something else, you will never be happy if you keep envying them. Instead, accept what you have and be content. Remember that there are others who possess less than you and yet, they are fulfilled.
- Don't focus on negative situations. Unfortunate things happen which are often outside of our control. You can choose to stay focused on situations that you can't do anything about and feel upset or angry, or you can choose to move on. Learn from your mistakes, let go of the negative thoughts and move on.
- Be open-minded. Acknowledge new ideas and experiences. By keeping an open mind, you'll experience things you never thought you would, meet people from all walks of life, and most of all, learn more about the world than you ever could with a closed mind.
- Live the life you want to live and not the life that pleases others. Sometimes, we do things because our family wants us to or because it seems like that's what we should be doing. Be true to yourself and follow your dreams. You may not be living up to the standard definition of "success", but if you're doing what you want to do or working towards your goals, then, you're living a successful life in your own right.
- "What if I Fall? Oh, but my darling what if you fly?" - Erin Hanson. Take opportunities to leave your comfort zone. Often, we turn down bright options because the outcome is uncertain. Sure, things could go wrong, but it could also turn out to be the best you've ever done. If you stick to the "safe level" all the time, you will never experience anything new, and you'll miss out on amazing opportunities. To live a happier and fuller life, one must sometimes take risks.
- Love yourself no matter what. If you don't love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to do the same? Love yourself on good days, and be proud of your achievements. But love yourself even when you make mistakes or when things go wrong. Unconditional self-love gives you the strength and courage to try new things and go after your dreams because you know that no matter what the outcome, you will still love and accept yourself regardless.
If you need help to overcome the barriers that are stopping you from living a happy and full life, help is available. BetterHelp provides affordable counseling from licensed therapists, online from the comforts of your own home.