Speaking With An Online Psychologist Is Your Key To Better Mental Health
Updated January 24, 2019
Reviewer Erika Schad, LCP, CWLC
When was the last time you spoke with someone about your feelings or the thoughts on your mind? In our busy world, people often put other tasks and other people before their physical health. Most of us do this even more with our mental health. Many people do not have time to schedule an appointment with a therapist, drive to their appointment, and speak to someone for an hour. Luckily, the world of therapy has moved online to make prioritizing your mental health easier for you.
The Benefits of Better Mental Health
First, you might be interested to know how improving your mental health has more benefits than the ones you might immediately gain from a therapy session. If you are struggling with anxiety or stress, seeing a therapist has been shown to reduce long-term medical costs associated with heart problems or catching a virus.
Also, many mental illnesses are associated with substance abuse such as drinking or taking recreational drugs. By speaking with someone about your issues, you may find that relying on substances is no longer needed, improving your physical and mental well being should be your priority. You also might see that when you improve your mental health, you will excel at other things in your life such as your relationships, your career, and your physical health.
What stops people from getting the help they need
There are a lot of people that would benefit from seeing a therapist that isn't getting the help they need. And, there are many different reasons or excuses on why they don't seek help.
- Don't think their problems are bad enough. Many people think that a therapist is for people that are experiencing extreme mental health conditions or symptoms such as psychosis. They don't realize that a therapist can help them in dealing with things like anxiety and feeling down, which could really be depression. If they don't think their problem is bad enough it's probably not going to warrant them going to an appointment and spending hundreds of dollars.
- Don't want others to know they are getting help. There is a stigma that surrounds mental health and those that struggle with it. This makes people not want to admit that they might be having a problem. They don't want others to think that they are weak, crazy, or worse. So, instead of facing the stigma head on or trusting that their friends and family will understand, they avoid it.
- They're ashamed of their problems. If someone is embarrassed about having problems and struggles with their mental health, then they are going to avoid getting the help that they need.
- They have a tight schedule. Some people might want to get help but aren't sure how to get it into their busy schedules. They may work long days or have children at home that they don't want to have to bring to counseling with them.
- It's expensive. The cost of in-person therapy is not often covered by health insurance. The appointments can be expensive and since you almost always need more than one appointment to make real progress it can dissuade people from doing anything at all.
The good news is that in person counseling is not the only way. With the new technology, you can get the help from a licensed therapist in a way that works the best for you.
What Can an Online Psychologist Help Me With?
Many people mistakenly think speaking with a licensed therapist is only for those with free time and money or is just for people with a severe mental illness. However, you need not be diagnosed with a mental disorder to feel you need to speak with someone.
Often, we do not want to burden our friends or family with our thoughts, and sometimes taking your concerns outside your social circles is a better idea. Some personal issues can be easier to talk to with someone that is not connected to you in a personal way. When you talk with a therapist instead of a friend you can deal with your personal situations while still having a circle of friends that you can enjoy time with by not having to make everything about your own situation.
An online psychologist is someone you can speak to about anything that is on your mind. If you are stressed at work, have lost a loved one or a pet, are having a difficult time connecting with your partner or children, or any other reasons, you may find that speaking with someone will help you tremendously. Although people often wait to seek help until problems become unbearable, online therapy is a quick and easy way to talk with someone about your thoughts and feelings before they manifest into something intolerable.
Why an online psychologist may be the right fit for you
Having online therapy sessions can help address many of the issues that keep people from getting help from a licensed professional. First of all, online appointments are generally much more affordable than in-person appointments.
Access to online appointments is a lot more convenient. You can talk to a professional about your mental health or personal situation from anywhere that you have access to the internet. That means you can meet for an appointment while your children are napping in the other room or while you sit in your car on your lunch break. It's all about making it work for you.
Doing counseling online can also help you to avoid the stigma that many are afraid of. Because you control when you are going you also can control who knows that you are going There is no way that anyone can happen to see you walking in and out of your appointment. You can remain anonymous.
And, because online counseling is more affordable it will help some people to take action on getting help even if they normally wouldn't. It helps them to justify that since they don't have to drive anywhere, be seen by anyone, or spend as much it might be worth checking on why they are struggling more than they used to with a situation.
Do I Need to Speak with an Online Psychologist?
You may experience a life event you need to speak with someone about it. Maybe you are struggling with a longer-term mental illness like depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, or anxiety. You are the best judge of your need to seek treatment to better your mental health. However, an can be easy to justify away behavior and decide you don't need help. Remember that an online psychologist will help give you the tools you need to improve your mental health, ultimately enhancing other aspects of your life. If you believe you need someone to talk to online therapy m may be your key to better mental health. Try it and start today.