50 Therapy Quotes To Encourage You
By: Joanna Smykowski
Updated January 28, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Lauren Guilbeault
Whether you are a therapist, go to therapy, are studying to become a therapist, or are helping teach others to become therapists, therapy is a hard field to be involved in. The mental health world is vast and ever-changing, and as with anything in life, it can be exhausting.
To help combat this, we have come up with a list of 50 therapy-related quotes to encourage you. We scoured the internet to find quotes from wise leaders, other mental health professionals, famous people, or positive humans in general so we could bring them to you. Some are silly, some are deep, and some have to do with life more than therapy, but can still apply. Some quotes are about the journey that someone else went on to be at peace with themselves, and we are hoping that their journey may inspire you to begin your own if you need to. Someone else's experience may help inspire you to help others not go through the same thing.
It is always important to remember to get help if you need it. Sites like BetterHelp.com can set you up online with a mental health professional and help you on your way.
Have fun with these quotes. Whether you hang them on your wall, write them on your mirror, say it to someone, journal it, or just recite it quietly to yourself, we hope that some of these are meaningful to you.
- "The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love." - Hubert Humphrey.
- "Cooking and baking is both physical and mental therapy." - Mary Berry
- "The wilderness is healing, a therapy for the soul." - Nicholas Kristof
- "Sometimes it takes dealing with a disability - the trauma, the relearning, the months of rehabilitation therapy - to uncover our true abilities and how we can put them to work for us in ways we may have never imagined." -Tammy Duckworth
- "Cleaning is therapy for me. I'm not ashamed of holding the duster or broom." -Amisha Patel
- "Just putting my uniform on keeps me going. Being able to get out there keeps me going. That's the best therapy." - Eric Davis
- "In therapy, I see myself in the mirror differently." - Ricky Williams
- "Cooking is good therapy for me." - Lidia Bastianich
- "For many people, managing pain involves using prescription medicine in combination with complementary techniques like physical therapy, acupuncture, yoga, and massage. I appreciate this because I truly believe medical care should address the person as a whole - their mind, body, and spirit." - Naomi Judd
- "I had people in my life who didn't give up on me: my mother, my aunt, my science teacher. I had one-on-one speech therapy. I had a nanny who spent all day playing turn-taking games with me." - Temple Grandin
- "Artists need some kind of stimulating experience a lot of times, which crystallizes when you sing about it or paint it or sculpt it. You literally mold the experience the way you want. It's therapy." - Erykah Badu
- "Scribbling things down is my therapy. I filter later." - Natascha McElhone
- "There are a variety of techniques to help people change the kind of thinking that leads them to become depressed. These techniques are called cognitive behavioral therapy." - Irving Kirsch
- "…comedy acts as my therapy. I put my problems out there. I talk about them. I talk about everything before anybody has a chance." - Kevin Hart
- "We may define therapy as a search for value." - Abraham Maslow
- "Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic, and fear which is inherent in a human situation." - Graham Greene
- "Baking is therapy." - Paul Hollywood
- "Massage therapy has been shown to relieve depression, especially in people who have chronic fatigue syndrome; other studies also suggest benefit for other populations." - Andrew Weil
- "I'm not really gay, and I can't sit here and say that I am, because that's not real and that's not genuine. But I also can't sit here and say that I'm straight. This is something I've come to the conclusion through therapy and from being honest with myself. I am bisexual." - Shane Dawson
- "Shopping at any level is a bit of therapy for my medulla oblongata." - Theophilus London
- "I didn't learn about depression or anxiety at school. So when I had to go to my parents to say 'I need help, I need to go to therapy,' I felt like this weird, messed up kid. And I wasn't…" Lili Reinhart
- "I get a lot of the ideas when I'm resting - either when I'm meditating or getting some kind of work done on my back, like physical therapy or acupuncture. That's where I get my best ideas, maybe because I'm balancing my body." - Katy Perry
- "Words of comfort, skillfully administered, are the oldest therapy known to man." - Louis Nizer
- "The first principle of cognitive therapy is that all your moods are created by your 'cognitions,' or thoughts. A cognition refers to the way you look at things - your perceptions, mental attitudes, and beliefs. It includes the way you interpret things - what you say about something or someone to yourself." - David D. Burns
- "I do it as a therapy. I do it as something to keep me alive. We all need a little discipline. Exercise is my discipline." - Jack LaLanne
- "Playing my drums is therapy." - Travis Barker
- "Using no control and using humor will build a relationship and make a dent to where the client puts the counselor in their quality world and then begins to relate and seek out the counselor. Effective therapy begins with the acceptance of the therapist into the client's quality world." - William Glasser
- "Through therapy and a lot of thinking and writing my memoirs, I've been able to use my life as a lesson." - Jane Fonda
- "I realized that therapy helps me explain what I'm feeling better." - Charlamagne Tha God
- "I would say that I began with a very edgy, very driven personality and after a sufficient amount of therapy over many, many years, I managed to become rather relaxed and happy." - John Cleese
- "And for me, it's acting. I find acting very therapeutic for whatever it is." - Kevin Bacon
- "I'd be cheating everyone here, the staff and rest of my teammate if I wasn't able to stay on top of my work. It was almost like therapy, to come back and get in an environment I'm comfortable with." - Roger Clemens
- "If you are not happy with something, you should change it. So I went to a lot of therapy, and finally, I am able to speak up for myself: You are going to hear me roar!" - Katy Perry
- "Food is a lot of people's therapy - when we say comfort food, we really mean that. It's releasing dopamine and serotonin in your brain that makes you feel good." - Brett Hoebel
- "I believe that a different therapy must be constructed for each patient because each has a unique story." - Irvin D. Yalom
- "Music is therapy. Music moves people. It connects people in ways that no other medium can. It pulls heartstrings. It acts as medicine." - Macklemore
- "Therapy's like going to the gym." - Chris Pine
- "The ultimate goal of therapy… it's too hard a question. The words come to me like tranquility, like fulfillment, like realizing your potential." - Irvin D. Yalom
- "My therapy has come from paying attention to my life." - Oprah Winfrey
- "Movies are like an expensive form of therapy for me." - Tim Burton
- "In therapy, I have learned the importance of keeping spiritual life and professional life balanced. I need to regain my balance." - Tiger Woods
- "To me, wrestling is therapy. No matter how bad my personal situation is, when I step into the ring, all my troubles disappear. My baggage stays in the back where it belongs." - Eddie Guerrero
- "I used to be pretty hard on myself, like, if I didn't like a haircut I did on someone, I would think about it a lot and second-guess myself. But after therapy and a lot of work, I know how to dust myself off a lot faster, and those things don't knock me down as much as they used to." - Jonathan Van Ness
- "When you're singing, you're using extra muscles, and it requires a lot of exercise and breathing. You can't do that if you're a sissy. If I have any fitness advice for people, I'd tell them to sing more. It's good therapy, too." - Willie Nelson
- "Cognitive therapy is based on the idea that when you change the way you think, you can change the way you feel and behave. In other words, if we can learn to think about other people in a more positive and realistic way, it will be far easier to resolve conflicts and develop rewarding personal and professional relationships." - David D. Burns
- "I'm on a constant path of self-discovery and change. I'm trying to become a better person, a nicer person. I love therapy - it's brilliant." - Julia Sawalha
- "Therapy and counseling can do wonderful things for people. But they have emerged so far as what are sometimes called 'cottage industries' - that is, as individuals or small groups offering generally quite expensive services to a few clients." - Alain de Botton
- "The problem is, I don't think I've got too much to offer at the minute. I'm busy working on myself. This sounds like real therapy talk, but it's like, you've got to be happy with yourself before you can go out and get yourself a girl." - Robbie Williams
- "If you can't control your tweeting habits, then stop tweeting. Go seek therapy." - Ana Navarro
- "With 'Location' and all the other songs around it, my music turned into therapy for others. And that's something I really love and am blown away by." - Khalid
Better Therapy With BetterHelp
Research shows that online therapy creates as many, if not more, beneficial effects as in-person therapy in forming a positive relationship between therapist and patient. In a study published in BioMed Central-Psychiatry, researchers found that internet-based cognitive-behavioral therapy (iCBT) significantly reduced symptoms related to trauma in patients, and also helped foster a strong bond between the therapist and patient. Specifically, participants reported strong feelings of trust between their therapists and themselves. This type of solid therapeutic alliance is a major factor in the efficacy of treatment, pointing to online therapy as an effective alternative to traditional, face-to-face counseling.
With online therapy through BetterHelp, you’ll have the opportunity to work with one of thousands of qualified professionals. Without being limited to just those therapists operating in your area, you’ll have a better chance of being matched with a counselor who knows exactly how to address your concerns. You will also have the opportunity to reach out to your licensed therapist any time of day. Just send a message, and they will get back to you as soon as they can. Read below for reviews of counselors from those who have benefitted from therapy.
“Kathryn is awesome! As a first time user of BetterHelp, and a first time participant in counseling, she made it a VERY easy and comfortable process. A true professional, she broke down my goals for counseling with me and helped guide me through the process of figuring out what I wanted to accomplish. I would recommend Kathryn to anyone looking to get into counseling.”
“Melissa is wonderful. So happy to be working with her, especially because I was so hesitant to do online counseling in the first place. Really grateful for BetterHelp and the experience I've had!”
No matter what you’re going through, mental health professionals are there for you. It is always important to remember to get help if you need it. And if you are thinking about therapy, know that you aren’t alone. Take the first step today.
Previous ArticleDoes Light Therapy For Depression Work?
Next ArticleShould You Try ECT Therapy?
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry
What Is EMDR Therapy? - EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization And Processing) Therapy Explained Understanding The Difference: How Is Behavior Therapy Different Than Psychoanalysis What Is Cognitive Behavior Therapy? Things That Shouldn't Be Said To A Therapist Therapy Apps For You Thera-Link Review: Is It A Worthwhile Therapy Service