The Pros And Cons Of Video Chat With Random People
By Danni Peck
Updated December 06, 2018
Reviewer Lisa Cooper
Video chat with random people you meet online can seem like a good alternative in situations where you don't have friends and family around to talk to. If you do have friends and family around, maybe you feel embarrassed about what you are going through or feel like nobody will understand.
You have no one to confide in.
The internet has provided a solution to this problem for years with social media, forums, and chat rooms. Now in addition to text chat with people from around the world, many platforms also allow you to video chat with random people that you meet on the internet.
With video chat, you can find people that you really click with, some strange and intriguing acquaintances, and those looking to flirt. You might have to go meet many people before you find someone you feel comfortable talking to. If video chat with random people is something that you have done or are thinking about, these are some of the things that you might want to consider first.
Some of the Pros and Cons of Video Chat with Random People
- Meet new people from around the world
- Get to know people with similar interests as you
- People feel comfortable sharing more about themselves online
- Video chat is a convenient way to connect with people
- Compared to chat rooms, you can usually see the person when you video chat, so you know that they are probably telling the truth about things like their age and gender
- Even though you can see them, you still don't know people's motives online or if they are telling the truth about things
- People you meet and form relationships with online can just disappear after a while
- When you video chat with random people, you need to be careful not to share too much or you can be taken advantage of, stalked, hated on, etc.
Alternatives to Video Chat with Random People
- Online Counselling
One safer alternative that allows you to connect to someone who will care and sympathize with your current life situation is online counselling. Online websites like BetterHelp offer counselling services that use text, phone, and/or video so their clients can get the help that they need on their terms. The site assists people in connecting with experts who understands what they are going through and is qualified to help.
- Mental Health Chat Rooms
There are various mental health chat rooms on the internet, like Healthful Chat that doesn't use video, but provides social support for people suffering from various mental illnesses. If you suffer from anxiety, depression, eating disorders, OCD, and other mental health disorders, you can find supportive people online who have experienced and survived what you are still going through.
As you can see, there are a lot of pros and cons to video chat with random people online. Many people do it and meet great people who they connect with and who help them get through hard times in life.
However, you should keep in mind that there are always trolls and people looking to victimize other people who seem vulnerable online. This can be done via mind games or scams, so be careful who you video chat with.
There is no shame in asking for help when you need it. A lot of times we feel like we are suffering alone but there are others who care and understand your struggle. Reaching out to a counsellor or joining a mental health chat group are a few safer alternatives to video chat with random people.