By: Stephanie Kirby
Updated October 07, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Whitney White, MS. CMHC, NCC., LPC
Relationship quotes can be inspirational, uplifting, or simply explanatory. When it comes to relationship quotes, they help us illustrate difficulties or feelings to our partners that we might otherwise feel unable to voice, or not voice as eloquently.
Everyone has times when they struggle to find the right words. Even authors get moments when they can’t express what they mean. For a relationship quote to be good, it needs to touch you and connect with you, but it also needs to touch your partner in the same way or at the very least be understandable for them. Being able to put feelings into words isn’t easy for some, which is why quotes and lyrics can be so important. Often, we’ll hear a song or read a book and think “Yes, this is exactly what I feel.” We can empathize, understand, and connect with the person on the other side of the words even though we’ve never met them.
Relationship Quotes for Love
If you’re in love, you want to tell everyone about it. Song lyrics mean more, you connect with poetry, everything seems perfect and rosy. Relationship quotes are ones that make you feel warm and fuzzy because you know what they’re talking about – you’ve got a relationship like that. Relationship quotes are also perfect for adding to a special occasion card or just texting your partner to remind them how you feel about them. Quotes about love in a relationship can make you smile, and they remind you how important love is.
- There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved – George Sand
- Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own. – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- True love stories never have endings. – Richard Bach
- Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey.- Lord Byron
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. – Aristotle
- What is love? It is the morning and the evening star. – Sinclair Lewis
Relationship Quotes About Fixing A Broken Relationship
Every relationship has struggles, and sometimes you just need to be reminded that it’s okay to pick the pieces up and put it back together if you think it will work out. How you fix the relationship is up to you and your partner. Using relationship quotes can give you both direction, but they can also remind you that you’re strong and sometimes it’s better to call it quits.
- You can tell how often a person thinks of you by how often they tell you they think of you. – Mark Boyer
- Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says: ‘I need you because I love you.’ – Erich Fromm
- The first duty of love is to listen. – Paul Tillich
- The best proof of love is trust. – Joyce Brothers
- Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. Be patient and understanding. Life is too short to be vengeful or malicious. – Phillips Brooks
- Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude…Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Relationship Quotes for Marriage
Marriage can be tough. Sharing your life with someone means not only being there for the times you love them and everything seems perfect but also for the times when things are hard, and you’re ready to give up. No one will tell you marriage is easy, and often that means seeking inspiration and strength from the words of another to get you through the trying times and remind you that there will be better ones again. Here are some relationship quotes for marriage:
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. – Mignon McLaughlin
A good husband makes a good wife. – John Florio
Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person. – Sophia Bush
To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; Whenever you’re right, shut up. – Ogden Nash
Marriage is not just spiritual communion; it is also remembering to take out the trash. – Joyce Brothers
When I’m weak, you can be strong; when I’m strong, you can be weak. That’s what I believe marriage is. – Gisele Bundchen
More belongs to marriage than four legs in a bed. – Rainer Maria Rilke
Marriage should be a duet – when one sings, the other claps. – Joe Murray
Romantic Relationship Quotes
Whether you’re married or just dating, feeling special and unique is important. If you want romance, you want to be swept off your feet, to feel you are the most desired and wonderful person to your partner so that you become caught up in them. Love can be quite a whirlwind, but many people are not born with a poetic soul so finding a romantic relationship quote can be a much better way of doing things when it comes to expressing romance. Here are some romantic relationship quotes you might like:
- Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. – Katharine Lee Bates
- When you look at me, when you think of me, I am in paradise. – William Makepeace Thackeray
- O, thou art fairer than the evening air clad in the beauty of a thousand stars. – Christopher Marlowe
- All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action. – James Russell Lowell
- Beauty, sweet love, is like the morning dew, Whose short refresh upon tender green, Cheers for a time, but till the sun doth show And straight is gone, as it had never been. – Samuel Daniel
- Romantic love is painful. – will.i.am
- A romantic relationship requires honesty between a couple. – Tzipi Livni
Funny Relationship Quotes
We all hear about love making you crazy, and it can sometimes feel like you’ve lost your mind with some of the things you’re willing to do for love. Love can be pretty hilarious at times because when you love someone, even those most ridiculous moments can bring you closer together. Laughter is part of any good relationship, and whether you’re laughing together or at each other, it’s part of what makes it work. Some relationship quotes describe this special silliness.
- Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet service to see who they really are. – Will Ferrell
- I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. – Rita Rudner
- Love is telling someone their hair extensions are showing. – Natasha Leggero
- My brother is gay, and my parents don’t care, as long as he marries a doctor. – Elayne Boosler
Quotes to Get You Through A Breakup
This is one of the most common reasons someone may look up relationship quotes. Breakups can be hard to explain and have other people understand. You want someone to understand your pain, to feel what you feel, and to know that even though that special person has left you, you are not alone. A breakup is a traumatic event, and it can leave us feeling lonely and isolated which is why connecting with the words of someone else can be that lifeline we need to feel understood in that pain.
- Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for. – Bob Marley
- How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. – Wayne Dyer
- The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one’s own. – Willa Cather
- I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me. -Humphrey Bogart
- You’re born single, you die single, but why not being in a relationship is some special ‘single’ status, I don’t understand. Life is less stress being single; I have to admit. – Bipasha Basu
If you’re dealing with a bad break up, it can be seen as a new beginning. Some people end a relationship and simply move on, while others may have scars and trauma that stay with them for the rest of their lives. It can be especially difficult when dealing with a long-term relationship ending to find yourself once again.
Is Therapy Something to Consider?
There are many reasons people seek online counseling or in-person counseling when dealing with relationship problems. Therapy can help a failing marriage rekindle itself, or it can help you move on to a better emotional space so that you’re ready for the next relationship. Therapy can also be a great support while you’re recovering from a breakup.
How BetterHelp Can Support You
If you and your partner are struggling or you are struggling with relationship issues, it might be time to seek a professional. BetterHelp is an affordable option that lets you get the support you want in the comfort and privacy of your own home, office, or even car and at a time that suits you best.Below are a couple of counselor reviews from people experiencing similar issues.
“She’s awesome! Keeps the facts facts and really helped me understand bad behaviours done by other people and why it happens. I enjoyed talking to her and learning about effective relationship and it helps me to understand what I’m looking for in a partner, who I am as a partner, and where I want the relationship to go. Change and being open is key! Thanks Cecelia!”
“Laurent Uyeji has consistently listened intently to my issues regarding my breakup and fear of being alone, and has always responded in a timely and insightful fashion. I really couldn’t ask more from a counselor. I had a therapist in the past who said barely anything and I remember getting very little from my time with him over a whole year of counseling. Lauren knows how to ask the right questions and give answers that are wise and informative. I feel like I am talking to someone that cares and is seriously considering ways to interact with the things I say. None of the questions she asks feel generic or insincere – they always are directly related to the immediate topic at hand and guide my thinking in ways that I feel actually growth. I would highly recommend Lauren to anyone seeking help with dealing with intense emotions.”
Relationship quotes can give you strength and solitude, ease your pain, make you laugh, or help you appreciate what you have. These quotes can be there for you when you’re at a loss for words, or when you don’t know how to express yourself. Read all about relationships and relationship advice with BetterHelp, and you can even speak with a therapist if you want guidance in your relationships today.
Previous ArticleWhat Is Aromantic And What Does It Mean For Relationships?
Next ArticleThe Importance Of Having Supportive Friendships
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Current Events Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Inclusive Mental Health Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause Mental Health Of Men And Boys MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships and Relations Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry
How To Feel Confident In Awkward Social Situations 10 Signs That You Might Be In A Negative Relationship How To Move On From A Relationship The Importance Of Communication In A Relationship Is It Time To Seek Relationship Therapy? What To Do In A Relationship When You’re Not Happy How To Know When Your Romantic Relationship Is Over - And 3 Real-Life Ways To Cope