Helpful Relationship Quotes
By: Stephanie Kirby
Updated May 12, 2020
Medically Reviewed By: Whitney White, MS. CMHC, NCC., LPC
Everyone has times when they struggle to find the right words. Even authors get moments when they can't express what they mean. Being able to put feelings into words isn't easy for some, which is why quotes and lyrics can be so important. Often, we'll hear a song or read a book and think "Yes, this is exactly what I feel." We can empathize, understand, and connect with the person on the other side of the quote even though we've never met them.
Quotes can be inspirational, uplifting, or simply explanatory. When it comes to relationships, quotes help us illustrate difficulties or feelings to our partners that we might otherwise feel unable to voice, or not voice as eloquently. For a quote to be good, it needs to touch you and connect, but it also needs to touch your partner in the same way or at the very least be understandable for them.
Quotes for Love
If you're in love, you want to tell everyone about it. Song lyrics mean more, you connect with poetry, everything seems perfect and rosy. Love quotes are ones that make you feel warm and fuzzy because you know what they're talking about - you've got a relationship like that. They're also perfect for adding to a special occasion card or just texting your partner to remind them how you feel about them. Quotes about love in a relationship can make you smile, and they remind you how important love is.
- There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved - George Sand
- Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Where there is love, there is life. - Mahatma Gandhi
- True love stories never have endings. - Richard Bach
- Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey.- Lord Byron
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. - Aristotle
- What is love? It is the morning and the evening star. - Sinclair Lewis
Quotes About Fixing A Broken Relationship
Every relationship has struggles, and sometimes you just need to be reminded that it's okay to pick the pieces up and put it back together if you think it will work out. How you fix the relationship is up to you, and counseling can certainly help. Using a quote can give you direction, and it can also remind you that you're strong and sometimes it's better to call it quits.
- You can tell how often a person thinks of you by how often they tell you they think of you. - Mark Boyer
- Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says: 'I need you because I love you.' - Erich Fromm
- The first duty of love is to listen. - Paul Tillich
- The best proof of love is trust. - Joyce Brothers
- Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. Be patient and understanding. Life is too short to be vengeful or malicious. - Phillips Brooks
- Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude…Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Quotes for Marriage
Marriage can be tough. Sharing your life with someone means not only being there for the times you love them and everything seems perfect but also for the times when things are hard, and you're ready to give up. No one will tell you marriage is easy, and often that means seeking inspiration and strength from the words of another to get you through the trying times and remind you that there will be better ones again.
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. - Mignon McLaughlin
A good husband makes a good wife. - John Florio
Marriage is not about age; it's about finding the right person. - Sophia Bush
To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up. - Ogden Nash
Marriage is not just spiritual communion; it is also remembering to take out the trash. - Joyce Brothers
When I'm weak, you can be strong; when I'm strong, you can be weak. That's what I believe marriage is. - Gisele Bundchen
More belongs to marriage than four legs in a bed. - Rainer Maria Rilke
Marriage should be a duet - when one sings, the other claps. - Joe Murray
Quotes About Romantic Relationships
Whether you're married or just dating, feeling special and unique is important. If you want romance, you want to be swept off your feet, to feel you are the most desired and wonderful person to your partner so that you become caught up in them. Love can be quite a whirlwind, but many people are not born with a poetic soul so finding a romantic quote can be a much better way of doing things when it comes to expressing their romance.
- Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. - Katharine Lee Bates
- When you look at me, when you think of me, I am in paradise. - William Makepeace Thackeray
- O, thou art fairer than the evening air clad in the beauty of a thousand stars. - Christopher Marlowe
- All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action. - James Russell Lowell
- Beauty, sweet love, is like the morning dew, Whose short refresh upon tender green, Cheers for a time, but till the sun doth show And straight is gone, as it had never been. - Samuel Daniel
- Romantic love is painful. - will.i.am
- A romantic relationship requires honesty between a couple. - Tzipi Livni
Funny Relationship Quotes
We all hear about love making you crazy, and it can sometimes feel like you've lost your mind with some of the things you're willing to do for love. Love can be pretty hilarious at times because when you love someone even those most ridiculous moments can bring you closer together. Laughter is part of any good relationship, and whether you're laughing together or at each other, it's part of what makes it work.
- Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet service to see who they really are. - Will Ferrell
- I love being married. It's so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner
- Love is telling someone their hair extensions are showing. - Natasha Leggero
- My brother is gay, and my parents don't care, as long as he marries a doctor. - Elayne Boosler
Quotes to Get You Through A Breakup
This is one of the most common reasons someone may look up a relationship quote. Breakups can be hard to explain and have other people understand. You want someone to understand your pain, to feel what you feel, and to know that even though that special person has left you, you are not alone. A breakup is a traumatic event, and it can leave us feeling lonely and isolated which is why connecting with the words of someone else can be that lifeline we need to feel understood in that pain.
- Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for. - Bob Marley
- How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. - Wayne Dyer
- The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own. - Willa Cather
- I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me. -Humphrey Bogart
- You're born single, you die single, but why not being in a relationship is some special 'single' status, I don't understand. Life is less stress being single; I have to admit. - Bipasha Basu
If you're dealing with a bad break up, it can be seen as a new beginning. Some people end a relationship and simply move on, while others may have scars and trauma that stay with them for the rest of their lives. It can be especially difficult when dealing with a long-term relationship ending to find yourself once again.
There are many reasons people seek counseling when dealing with relationship problems. Therapy can help a failing marriage rekindle itself, or it can help you move on to a better emotional space so that you're ready for the next relationship. Therapy can also be a great support while you're recovering from a breakup. Online therapy is an affordable option that lets you get the support you want in the comfort and privacy of your own home, office, or even car.