How Can Career Counseling Help Me?
By: Tanisha Herrin
Updated July 26, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Deborah Horton
Why Get Career Counseling? What Can Career Counseling Do For Me?
You could reap several benefits of working with a licensed professional to achieve your professional and personal goals. Working with a professional could help you in the following ways:
- Gain more knowledge. You could choose to go back to school to get a new degree or certification, boosting your occuptional skills and confidence. You will feel prepared and know the ins and outs of educational systems pertaining to your chosen field.
- Economic gains. Professional help could help you manage times of unemployment and be more productive. It could also cause you to seek more opportunities that expand your professional realm.
- Expand social connections. You will feel more satisfied on the job and at home. You could also increase your networking skills and decrease stress and other work-related factors.
Define Career Decisions
Here are some examples of theories that shape our opinions and beliefs about careers:
- Albert Bandura's social cognitive theory: We watch what other people are doing or not doing around us as well as thought leaders. Our human thought process helps us to make job decisions.
- John Holland's theory of career choice: Careers are a marriage between our environments and personality types. We want to have a job with other like-minded individuals.
- John Krumboltz's theory: It's OK not to have a plan; sometimes, unplanned occurrences can lead to career opportunities and growth.
What To Expect
Talk to a Therapist
BetterHelp Career Help
"I worked with Erin for a couple of months while dealing with a stressful transition and major career deadline. I felt like I was in over my head, and I was anxious and exhausted. I thought that we established a good rapport right from the start, and Erin had helpful things to offer me from the first few moments that we worked together. Erin is warm and intuitive, and she brought a great sense of humor to our sessions. Erin provided an excellent combination of affirmation, doable "homework," and helping me understand myself and my reactions to my situation better. I recommend Erin incredibly highly!"
"David has been my greatest support in navigating issues that were simply holding me back from being happy. Before working with David, I was suffering from anxiety due to relationship issues and career changes that were putting me in a bad place. We worked on everything step by step and I can say, with great gratitude, that I feel much stronger and happier now, after only a few months. I've managed to rebuild that strength in time with his help. He's also never missed a session and always went the extra mile to help with everything he could. Thanks, David!"
Get your professional goals on track by considering the tools and resources covered in this article. Whether you want to change professions or explore advancement opportunities, a career counselor can assist with assessing your options. Get started today by working with someone who wants to help you achieve professional success.
Previous ArticleI Know I Deserve Better, What Am I Afraid Of?
Learn MoreWhat Is Online Therapy? About Online Counseling
Abuse ADHD Adolescence Alzheimer's Ambition Anger Anxiety Attachment Attraction Behavior Bipolar Body Dysmorphic Disorder Body Language Bullying Careers Chat Childhood Counseling Dating Defense Mechanisms Dementia Depression Domestic Violence Eating Disorders Family Friendship General Grief Guilt Happiness How To Huntington's Disease Impulse Control Disorder Intimacy Loneliness Love Marriage Medication Memory Menopause MidLife Crisis Mindfulness Monogamy Morality Motivation Neuroticism Optimism Panic Attacks Paranoia Parenting Personality Personality Disorders Persuasion Pessimism Pheromones Phobias Pornography Procrastination Psychiatry Psychologists Psychopathy Psychosis Psychotherapy PTSD Punishment Rejection Relationships Resilience Schizophrenia Self Esteem Sleep Sociopathy Stage Fright Stereotypes Stress Success Stories Synesthesia Teamwork Teenagers Temperament Tests Therapy Time Management Trauma Visualization Willpower Wisdom Worry